GPS choice/ Caching methods

Ok. Two part question. I looked at a lot of posts already and searched the internet so as to not duplicate...but here I am.

Currently (I am new and have only ten finds) what I do is find a cache or two online and punch the locations into a 3rd party GPS app. I use my own know how to drive to the approximate location, then hop out of my truck and head to the cache. The phone works great, and I am sure it will be more fun when I spring for the Geocaching App.

I am trying to determine if there is a GPS that I can download the locations into, use it to drive to a point near the location and then use the same GPS to go stomping around in search of the treasure.

I feel like the way I am doing it now is the "hard way" and I am also leaning towards not using my iphone. For one reason, I have found that looking up info and searching out a cache will draw down my battery faster than I would like. Also walking around (sometimes not looking where I am going!) I don't want to end up dropping my phone on a hard surface, in a puddle, down a hill blah blah blah.

I hope my question(s)/what I am looking for (no pun intended) make sense. Basically, the methodology to get from your couch to the cache and the fewest tools to do so.

Thanks folks! :smile:

Several of the higher-end handheld GPS devices will support driving directions as well as off road. I have the Garmin Oregon 550 and mine can do what you're asking for. You do have to have the right maps installed though....the GPS normally comes with only base maps which just show major highways and waterways.

You can buy a GPS with these maps already installed if you don't mind spending the extra money. For off road purposes you need topographic maps and for driving you need routable maps. Both are available from Garmin (if you go with a Garmin device), or you can download them for free like I and many others do (www.gpsfiledepot.com for topo and Openstreetmap.com for routable)

Then, with Premium membership, I can generate a Pocket Query of caches I want to look for, and download that straight to the GPS with all the hints, recent logs, and descriptions.

So what you're looking for is a device that supports both paperless Geocaching and routable maps.

The Garmin Oregon 450 (same as I have but without a camera) can be found for $200 or less nowadays and will do what I describe. Plus is a touch screen if you prefer that interface.

Edited by Chief301

Thanks for the reply. I used easyGPS and the garmin POI loader to get some Caches into my 255W. I will experiment with loading the POIs into my 255W for driving purposes to get me close and then use my Iphone on foot. If the 255W does me ok then I may be able to get away with a lower end hand held right? May not need the road maps on the hand held. I guess the next hurdle will be to decide if I want to go paperless or not. Seems to me that even if I want to go paperless, a paperless handheld will be cheaper than a handheld that does paperless AND street navigation. I will still have the extra (couple)step(s) if I want to load driving directions into my 255, but I don't see that as an "oh my god this is such a pain" issue.

Additional thoughts? B)

I use a Magellan eXplorist 310 that has a good basemap with all street in my area, Ontario Canada. It don't do street navigation but work fine to navigate in town or on back roads. If ever I go for cache area I don't know I just put on in my nuvi and go. I also have an explorist GC that is dedicated to geocaching. I prefered use the extra money to do other thing then a 500 $ gps

Hi Geo. So if you are going to a place you don't know, you throw the location in your Nuvi then use your handheld when you get there. Am I reading that right? Pretty much (exactly?) what I'm doing with my nuvi. I agree, 500 could be better spent on a plane ticket, or some camera glass or....? (cocktails and cigars? :) )

I don't know about your nuvi, but my 255 lists my Caches by the cache number in the POIs, not by the name of the cache. I guess this is not a huge issue, but does anyone know if there is a way to change that? I'm going to mess around a bit and see if I can nail it.

Hi Geo. So if you are going to a place you don't know, you throw the location in your Nuvi then use your handheld when you get there. Am I reading that right? Pretty much (exactly?) what I'm doing with my nuvi. I agree, 500 could be better spent on a plane ticket, or some camera glass or....? (cocktails and cigars? :) )

I don't know about your nuvi, but my 255 lists my Caches by the cache number in the POIs, not by the name of the cache. I guess this is not a huge issue, but does anyone know if there is a way to change that? I'm going to mess around a bit and see if I can nail it.

Mine do the same but only used that process 2 or 3 times. I normally only use my eXplorist and google map from GC website prior going. If you get a GPS ensure to select one with paperless caching, with this the only other item required will be a pen.

Keep caching and have fun!!!

Thanks.

I went for my first Cache back in 2005'ish and did not find it. It was winter in Northern Michigan. Maybe not the best time to try. Now it is 2013 and I decided to create an account. I had 10 finds in the first couple days, and although a few of them were LPCs I think I am liking it. Bringing a TB to the fire station in my hometown this weekend to get some pictures with the fire engines at the TB owners request.

Mark,

My daughter and I go caching together and we have been using the following "set up"

I navigate to the general area using my Android phone and Google Navigation and she uses her xPlorist GC when we get to where we are actually walking.

I use the Groundspeak app as well as c:Geo on my droid as a back up should her GC have any difficulties or when she forgets to bring a set of back up batteries LOL. So far it has been working out well for us and there was really not a lot of money and equipment needed (I already had the phone).

Best of luck,

Chemzone

Greetings and welcome to the long running debate of Nuvi vs. Handheld.

We have posted many times in favor of the Nuvi and how with a little bit learning it can be used for Geocaching just as well as a Handheld most of the time. We started with the 255W then upgraded to the 1350LMT and just bought the 2450LMT. To get a better idea what we have done, check out our Profile Page.

Our main thought is that since you already have a Nuvi, use that for caching. That way it will give you an idea if you like this game without spending any more money equipment. Most of the cachers only use a Handheld, there are others cachers that use both a Nuvi and a Handheld when they go out. Nuvi on the road then switch to handheld for caching. Then there are some of us that only use a Nuvi.

So feel free to ask anything, there is a lot of knowledge in these forums (if you can find it :laughing:)