I am new to geo caching...

puzzy123

I went into my first few caches without any such tips, but I do have a few:

1) Try to find larger caches at first. The larger the cache, the easier it is to find.

2) When you arrive near ground zero, put down your GPS and look around. Where would you hide it? Is anything out of place?

3) Look at the difficulty rating and attribute icons. If the terrain is rated 1, chances are you won't have to check the slope or climb that tree.

4) Read old logs. Some cachers accidentally leave clues you can use to find the cache.

5) Look for trails through vegetation where earlier cachers have walked. They often lead you straight to the cache.

Welcome to the game!

I agree that you should start out with easier difficulty caches (1/1 or 1.5/1.5) just until you get a feel for all the kinds of ways caches can be hidden. Looking for larger ones helps, too, at the beginning. Don't get discouraged as there are many, many clever ways to cammo caches. Be sure to log your DNFs as that helps the cache owner (CO) know what's going on. Don't be afraid to email the CO if you have trouble finding a cache. Many COs are more than willing to give you help with a hide. (Some COs don't help, so don't take that personally). Also a good idea to read the past logs and that will give you some sense of how hard it might be, or even give you some hints on where to look.

Mostly, just enjoy! It's a game and meant to be fun!

Please feel free to email me directly if you have any questions!

Edited by steben6

Every time I found a cache hidden in a way I'd never seen before, I learned amazing things about the world. OH, those plastic covers on light posts LIFT UP??? Who knew?? I also found that I was more comfortable with hides out in the woods rather than close to homes or in urban areas, partly so that I could spend a long time looking and not feel silly!

To what's been said--I'd only add to check recent logs for DNF--blue unhappy faces, or Did Not Find, because if there's a string of those (or a recent log that says "Needs Maintenance") it usually means either the cache is gone completely or not where it's supposed to be.

Mostly, just enjoy! It's a game and meant to be fun!

Agreeing with this!!

Not finding a cache can be just (or almost so) as enjoyable as finding it. Frustrating, but fun nonetheless.

One thing you really should do also, is to not go looking with a preconceived idea of what the container may be.

If you happen to have been looking for very small ones (and some larger ones), they can be staring you right in the face and you do not recognize it as a possible cache.

Check every possibility -- even if that possibility is remote that it would be a cache.

If you are using a GPSr (or phone), remember too that it will not necessarily take you to the cache. It will take you to the area of the cache placement. You still must hunt it out. You should expect to be within a few yards or meters of the cache, but not standing at it. When you are almost at that distance, put the device away and use your eyes (and fingers). The device cannot help you any more as it has done what it is gonna do. Don't forget to look UP.

Not finding a cache can be just (or almost so) as enjoyable as finding it. Frustrating, but fun nonetheless.

One thing you really should do also, is to not go looking with a preconceived idea of what the container may be.

If you happen to have been looking for very small ones (and some larger ones), they can be staring you right in the face and you do not recognize it as a possible cache.

Check every possibility -- even if that possibility is remote that it would be a cache.

Definitely a good tip! I had one recently that completely stumped me until I realised I was in fact HOLDING the (very well disguised) cache! This of course is also a very good reason to be aware of everything you are rifling through on your hunt. That inconspicuous stone you tossed out of the way could have been the cache you were searching for.

The most useful thing I found when I started is to read the logs on caches you're interested in. Looking at when the cache was last found, how easy people have said it was and so on will give you a reasonable idea of whether it's worth pursuing or your own likelihood of finding it. Don't get discouraged by any you don't find at first. As you find more caches, you'll get a bit of an eye for hiding places, I went back to several of my early DNFs (Did not Finds) and was surprised how easily I found them the second time round.

Another tip is to plan ahead, OS Getamap and Google Street View have been invaluable to me for planning out routes and parking locations.

Always bring a pen along with you. It's surprising how many times there won't be one in the cache or at least not one that works. If you're have a mind to go for the littlest ones, nanos or blinkies, you might also want to carry along a pair of tweezers to extract the log. And finally, always to try to return the cache to just where you found it as well as covering it up well. Resist the urge to "improve" the location just because you saw a better place down the trail a bit. If it seems obviously out of place or seems like it might be compromised, return it where you found and contact the owner either in your log or by email.

editted for content

Edited by Brooklyn51