Find the coordinates game

At my recent gathering Rocky Mountain Hi I planned a game that turned out to be a lot of fun. Before everyone arrived I hid a marker in the volleyball sand pit, and marked the coordinates with my GPS. Later after the event was under way I gave everyone the coordinates and told them to take their GPS and mark where they thought ground zero for those coordinates were.

It was really cool to see how evenly dispersed everyone was. It really gave everyone a good idea about the true accuracy of the GPS system.

I had a prize for the closest person, but if I had it to do over again, I would have a prize for furthest person as well.

Anyway it ended up being a cute game that everyone could participate in. There are pictures of the game on the cache page.

Dan

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

Everyone was pretty much in a 30ish foot circle around the waypoint. The circle was shifted to the South just a little. Gave you a good idea that even on a clear day with excellent sat coverage you need at least a 30 foot search circle.

I'm guessing you mean a 30-foot diameter circle but not sure.

quote:
Originally posted by bigeddy:

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

Everyone was pretty much in a 30ish foot circle around the waypoint. The circle was shifted to the South just a little. Gave you a good idea that even on a clear day with excellent sat coverage you need at least a 30 foot search circle.

I'm guessing you mean a 30-foot diameter circle but not sure.

Well both :-)

In my message I ment to say diameter (30 ft total width) but looking at the pictures again I am not sure if it was not larger like 30ft radius (take a 30ft string with weight and swing it around). That is if I did not get the two reversed again :-)

You can see pictures of it from the link in my first messsage.

A = A