Cacher Dominating area

xipotec

Ok, admittedly , I am fairly new to this. So I am sure this post will ruffle a few feathers, but hey, that what I am good at.

I recently visited a southern city and took at day to cache. The problem was , a single cacher, by his own admission, was "dominating" the city with his own caches. He had over 20 in the city, which effectively blocked any new caches from being placed. Most of the caches were metro-micro, simple tins or containers. Some were very cleaver others were not.

My question is this, is there a rule stopping a single cacher from taking up entire areas? Another cacher in the area was clearly putting a cache in a drain to "get a spot" near the new park being built. The cache was in a construction zone!!!! But I believe it was put in this spot to "claim" the area for themselves.

As someone new to this, its a bit discouraging to find a single person with 20 cache's in a single area , effectively prohibiting the placement of a cache by a newer member.

With the 0.1 mile rule in effect I believe I am starting to see a pattern of cachers placing caches to intentionally prevent new caches in the area.

Does this happen???

If so , GeoCachers need to address this or we risk killing our hobby for new people in certain areas. My thought is along with the 0.1 mile rule, there should also be a rule preventing a single cacher from placing more that 3 caches in a certain area, say 1.0 mile.

What say you veterans?

I agree that would suck..have you talked to the guy or other catchers about it? Find some new spots there's always one somewhere

I understand 20 seems like a TON for someone with only 18 finds, but it's not that many. I peeked at your profile since you mentioned southern city and I see Charlotte. Trust me Charlotte has tons of room (with lots of great hides). Also they were not all put out at once and over a long period of time (5 years) so other people have had plenty of oppurtunity to place caches there.I have found a good number in uptown and they were not bad caches. Sure almost everything is a micro but anything larger will go missing more easily and from my memory most were at least in good spots. I've seen lots worse (and of course better).

There's a great trail system near the mall. When I started hiding I put a few out along it and left lots of rooms for others. For the most part people seemed more interested in finding the PnGs at shopping centers then walking a trail and with little exception no one has hidden any more on the trail. So I've slowly added to it hiding more there. I guess I may 'dominate' that area and a good number are micros because the trail is sandwhiched in between houses but I think they are above average caches.