Geo-Scavenger Hunt

Guest Snowtrail

Guest Snowtrail

I am an outings leader for the Sierra Club, and I thought that a geo-scavenger hunt would be a good way to introduce some of our members to the geo-caching idea. But, I have some questions on how to go about it.

1. What to do about those without a GPS? Do something similar to letterboxing?

2. I'd like to make homogenous items in each cache, so I can tell who has been to each. What should I include?

Guest RyckZ

Great Idea. Give us some more details and maybe we can give you some more ideas.

If your group size is not too large and you have enough GPS people, you could form small groups for each GPS. Then again you said "some" members. You may have enough to limit the whole activity to only those with GPS units.

As far as homogenous items, you could use the Letterboxing rubber stamp idea having a unique stamp for each cache. Unique paper punches are also a possiblity. How about post cards of the cache area or pictures. Do you have a digital cam?

We have a cache in our area that is near Marblehead Lighthoust the oldest working one on Lake Erie. I've put minature lighthouses in that cache.

Otherwise go find a "Dollar" store somewhere and just buy a bunch of items for each cache.

Guest Snowtrail

Thanks for the ideas. Right now, I am the only one I know of in my group who has a personal GPS. I was hoping to get a few more people involved in this area in geocaching (so I can have more caches to find). I am going to an orienteering meet to see if I can get more ideas, and the location may be exactly where I could host a GPS hunt...