enabling a new cache

justintim1999

Is it possible to enable a cache but choose the date and time it will go live. I have 7 new caches I'm working on. 5 have already been placed but not enabled. The other two will be placed this friday. I would like them to go live on Sunday 3/9. I would like to enable them now to make sure there are no issues. Is this possible?

Edited by justintim1999

Is it possible to enable a cache but choose the date and time it will go live. I have 7 new caches I'm working on. 5 have already been placed but not enabled. The other two will be placed this friday. I would like them to go live on Sunday 3/9. I would like to enable them now to make sure there are no issues. Is this possible?

I think someone needs to prepare you for probability of disappointment here, or perhaps encourage you to revise your schedule. You come here 4 days before your desired "launch date" for SEVEN caches, having given the Reviewer ZERO prior notice. The Reviewers are VOLUNTEERS that work on their own personal time schedules. This is not their JOB that demands their IMMEDIATE attention. I have never heard of even one Reviewer that will not work to accommodate you GIVEN SUFFICIENT PRIOR NOTICE (think weeks, not days). Four days (or less) certainly does NOT constitute sufficient advance notice.

Some cache placements are fairly generic in nature. A simple check for cache saturation might be sufficient, and can go fairly quickly. Some placements are more creative and require a closer, and more time consuming review process. Or the area in question could be problematic even if there is nothing else close. There might actually be a good reason there is not already something in the area. It is totally unfair, and probably next to impossible, for you to submit 7 caches simultaneously and EXPECT the Reviewer to drop everything in their life to accommodate your very short notice schedule.

And the PUBLISH method is not automated. It is a totally manual operation. If your requested publication date does not fit into your Reviewers schedule, they can ask an available colleague to do it for them. That certainly would take even more time.

What if one or two or three of your cache submissions are outside the guidelines, and are unpublishable without modification of some sort. You have allowed yourself no time to address the issues.

With such a project, consult your Reviewer EARLY in the process. Get the general OK for the areas you have in mind. This will also protect your areas, for a limited time, from having another cache unexpectedly pop up while you are still working on yours. Ask the Reviewer to hold all your publications till they are all ready on a certain date. Keep your fingers crossed that it all goes as planned.

Right here in the Guidelines:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

6. Submitting a Geocache Listing

Placing a large number of geocaches to be published on the same date requires advanced planning.

Submit the cache listings at least ten days in advance of the requested release date. Post a Note to Reviewer on the cache listings requesting that the caches be published on the date specified. Reviewers will strive to accommodate reasonable requests. Caches placed in connection with an event must be left in place after the event. See "Geocache Permanence" above.

Geocache must be in place before you enable the listing.

Your cache should be in place and ready to be found at the time your cache listing is enabled online. If the cache is not ready for seeking, disable your cache listing so that it won't appear in the review queue and post a Reviewer Note explaining special circumstances, such as awaiting permission from a land manager.

B.