The Garmin vs. Magellan Challenge

I have an idea for the New York Geocaching Organization (NYGO) picnic this August. I was thinking I would split everyone into teams based on whether they are a Garmin or a Magellan user (if both, they'd have to pick their favorite). Then we would run through a series of tests to see which performs better.

These are some of the ideas I have so far:

Round 1:

Hike into a densely forested area. As people lose their satellite signal, they would be out. First team with 5 members out would lose and the other team would score a point.

Round 2:

Meet at a location with known coordinates, such as a survey disk. Everyone would mark the coordinates on their GPS. The closest one would win a point for their team.

Round 3:

Turn GPS off and back on - first one to get a satellite lock and be able to give the coordinates of the location would win a point for their team.

Any other ideas? I don't want this to be an all day thing as we have many other activities planned. Just something fun to do for an hour or so.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Set up 2, multi waypoint courses, with say 4 waypoints to the cache, one brand runs the course "A" first and the other runs course "B". Then switch. Keep track of the times and the "track log" of each brand at the end of the 2 different courses. Best times and the most direct route scores the points.

Set up the multis just like real life with new coords.,say put in a 35mm film canister. Be sure the canisters a replaced as they were found. Do not over hide the multi waypoint cannisters.

Follow my thinking?? icon_smile.gif

My hockey Mom beat up your soccer Mom.

http://coloradogeocaching.com/