oregon 450 location error

jnlaustin

You probably should set it to WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format.

This is usually the case when somebody's unit is consistently "off".

BUT... if the error is only in mapping, then it is quite possibly the map, especially when zoomed in tight.

Not all that uncommon, although 300' is quite a bit.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Its already on those settings. Any other ideas? My older GPS and even my phone is way closer than this.

Just to be clear on this...

Are you judging this based solely upon what you see on the map, or are you actually trying to find coordinates?

You say the datum and format are correct, then that leaves the mapping (and/or routing, as TC mentions). I am guessing that you are using to drive about with (that's what you have mentioned), but the question still comes up whether or not it will deliver you, within reason, to a spot via use of coordinates. THAT is where the accuracy of the unit comes into play!

You should also make sure that it is not set for driving (routing).

Sometimes, maps leave a bit to be desired and usually have little, if any, relation as to whether the unit is accurate or not.

If you want a TRUE accuracy test, load up coordinates for a benchmark (one that is established to be there) and go find it. It don't get no better than that!

This link will get you there: http://www.geocaching.com/mark/