Parachute cache

AJAM15

Hi I am fairly new to Geocachng and had an ideal about a creative cache. I want to be able to drop a cache on a parachute when the finder interacts with something near the cache such as a branch or rock, but I want it to be easy to reset for the next guy. I have thought about it and figure that ill need to be able to get it to about 35 to 40 ft to get a good flight out of the chute, but I don't know how to get t up that high easily.

it would be great if any of you more experienced cachers had any ideals to help me with this

Thanks in advance AJAM15

Its a 60 in parachute with just over 10oz attached to it if they don't see it they will hear it hit the ground I need a way to get it up about 40 ft that is reliable and easy to release and reset if you can come up with an idea i'll give you credit already thought of a pully system but it's not as reliable as needed

Its a 60 in parachute with just over 10oz attached to it if they don't see it they will hear it hit the ground I need a way to get it up about 40 ft that is reliable and easy to release and reset if you can come up with an idea i'll give you credit already thought of a pully system but it's not as reliable as needed

There was a group actively dropping ParaBears... teddy bears with parachutes. A quick search showed some are still around. For the most part they are KITE based, but I see no reason why their release systems might work for you. The big task will be getting the chute back up to the launch point and to properly reset the release mechanism. The question about seeing the results by the next seeker is also a real concern... Will seekers know what to expect? Is there any chance it will hang up somewhere, calm day or windy?

Doug 7rxc

There was a group actively dropping ParaBears... teddy bears with parachutes. A quick search showed some are still around. For the most part they are KITE based, but I see no reason why their release systems might work for you. The big task will be getting the chute back up to the launch point and to properly reset the release mechanism. The question about seeing the results by the next seeker is also a real concern... Will seekers know what to expect? Is there any chance it will hang up somewhere, calm day or windy?

Doug 7rxc

Ya ill have to find some trees that are like 40 or 50 ft apart for it to work

I love this idea and will probably use it in my area soon. The simplest way I can come up with (that can also guarantee an easy and reliable reset) would be to use a fishing reel from an old (or new) fishing pole. The reel would be permanently affixed to an attachment point and heavy duty fishing ling would be securely attached to the top of the parachute. When the cacher gets to GZ all they would have to do is push the release button on the reel and the cache would "free fall" from its hiding place up high. A tangled mess of fishing line on the reel's spool should be avoided by only using enough line on the spool to allow the cache to reach ground level. To reset, the cacher would only need to "reel in" the cache which would return it to it's hiding spot and reset the release button. Hope this helps. I would love to see the cache listing once you get the logistics worked out.