Geocaching.com Android app - data usage?

People,

Im just upgrading to an Android smartphone (first time), and am on a fairly limited data usage contract (250MB/m)

Can anyone provide me details of the data usage of the Geocaching.com app? Essentially, what im wanting to know is how much data it uses to download a cache' details, how much to upload a find (these details will help me manage my data usage), but probably more importantly - how much control will i have of the applications use of the data connection? In other words, will it connect of its own accord for any reason, or will it only use data connection as and when I request cache details/upload a find?

My data connection via the mobile network will most likely be deactivated when im not deliberately intending to use it anyway, and most times I will try and use wifi where I can

Cheers for any info

Martin

Flying Compass

I have only rarely used the official Geocaching app, but I have used a few others that used the API and Maps. For more than a year I used Neongeo with a 200MB/Month plan, and I never went over my allotment. I'm comfortable saying that most of your data usage will be for loading map tiles from Google. Uploading of logs and field notes doesn't take up much data at all. Downloading pocket queries will tend to gobble up data quicker, but:

One thing that may have made the difference for me is that I used my home WiFi connection to do as much as possible. Map tiles are cached on the phone, so if you spend a lot of time scrolling around the map while on WiFi, you won't have to download those map tiles in the field. I tended to plan my trips on the phone itself, zooming in and out of cache areas and switching between satellite and plain maps. This tends to build up a nice cache of map tiles for the places you'll be going.

It's a good idea to find out what tools your carrier gives you to monitor your data usage. For example, I can call (for free) *3282# from my AT&T phone, and I get a (free) text message that tells me how much data I've used for the month. Do that in the evening after a day's caching, and you'll get a good sense for how much it takes.

Edited by JJnTJ

You can get actual usage on a per-app basis by going to Settings -> Data usage on your phone.

Use the white sliders to set the date range:

24vjfdd.png

It is possible to set a mobile data limit, and also set a warning threshold (use orange slider).

This feature is available on Android 4.x (Jelly Bean and Ice Cream Sandwich). Not sure about earlier releases...

Thanks for the info. Im really new to all this Android and smartphone stuff. Im actually in a very high tech job, but phones have never really been my thing (but my eldest son has just got a new smartphone and theres no way I was going to be out tech'd by him!)

Ive downloaded my first app, GPS Status, so I can at least get to grips with the GPS and get the first fix sorted. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, and I think its 'Ice Cream Sandwich' its running, but I dont have that data usage option?

Ah! Just checked - its an earlier version - Gingerbread? anyway, a 2.x version. I think theres an update available, but ive only had the phone a matter or hours! not got that far yet.

I have network data access turned off, and am using the wifi for most of this.