Dakota 20 not road navigating

Just got a new Garmin Dakota 20 for christmas. :D Am ready to get into geocaching once the snow melts BUT need to solve one problem first. When I am trying to navigate using roads (navigation settings set for On Road for time or distance) it says "route calculation error: Maps do not have routable roads in this area." Even when i am on a road and set it to navigate to a road. Also will not auto snap to roads. I installed the included US topo map 100K because it had the extra roads in my area that the basemap didn't have. Do I need a different, more accurate street map for it? Or is it just not designed for road navigation? Any help is appreciated.

the file from this website is too big to fit on the GPS, but I have a 8gb micro SD card in it. If I send this file to it, will the GPS access it? I haven't been able to find the card on the GPS menu. Also is this file (the link) compatible with the Dakota 20?

Thanks to all for ultra-fast reply. :)

Yes, but you must put the *.img map file you download in the [uSD Card]\Garmin\ directory. (More info here)

Ahhhhhhh..... Understanding dawns! B)

I need to put maps in the folder on the card called 'Garmin', not any of the sub-folders?

Got a huge file, still waiting on the 5 hr download.... :blink:

If you have all that free time while you wait for the download to complete, why not take a gander at the INSTRUCTIONS page linked at the top of the page you are downloading from? :unsure:

Edited by Atlas Cached

The map works good. Not sure about routing and address finding (it shows my address waaaaaaay of by about 8 miles) but seems to work otherwise. For example: To route to a common stop, it says to take a local rarely-maintained forestry road on a back-loop around a loop where i GUARENTEE you will get stuck without a 4-wd pickup truck, when you can take the main road and be there in 15 minutes. Tried both On Road for Time & Distance and still comes up with this. You don't really need to reply to this, just be wary when using osmmaps.com.