Magellan eXplorist 110

journey374

I want to know if the Magellan eXplorist 110 is good and what every ones opinion on it and is it worth the money?

The eXplorist 110 is probably the best unit you're going to find for the $99 Amazon is asking for it; however, it is an entry level GPS and that needs to be understood. This is a great little starter device and will do most everything up upper level units will do including handle waypoints, paperless Geocaching, tracks and routes; however, the options that go along with these are limited in the unit. As an avid Geocacher one of the limits that I would struggle with is the limit of only being able to load 500 caches at a time. At first glance this might not seem like a major limitation; however, when traveling I often load between 1,500 to 5,000 caches in my GPS before taking off for a Geocaching trip. Because of these limitation and the fact that you cannot load additional maps on the eX110 I would like recommend stepping up the eX310, which can be purcahsed on Amazon, for $129. This unit does not have the limitations of the eX110. Therefore you can load additional maps, 10,000 geocaches and waypoints and have sorting and capabilites that the eX110 does not have. As a beta tester for Magellan Outdoor GPS I have all of their outdoor products and I recommend this GPS as a less expensive option.

I hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

does it have a compass?

No, it does not have an electronic compass, but neither does the eX110. If you want a GPS with an electronic compass you're going to have to pay a bit more than $130! However, I've been caching for quite a while and although the compass is nice, it really isn't a necessary. Actually, the first 1000 I logged I did so with a Magellan Triton 1500 that didn't have one and as long as you keep moving, even at a slow pace, you'll find that the GPS will guid you just like a compass...

David