Erased all program icons off of Magellan eXplorist GC :( ?

As I went to install the add-ons and everything associated with hooking this device up to my PC, in order to download new caches. The only thing that kept popping up on the comp screen after I plugged it in was: extract pictures? I recognized this as being what it says whenever we hook a digital camera up to the PC too, but thought, "Well, it wouldn't keep popping up if it wasn't how it was supposed to work". Bad idea. My computer now has about 1000 individual little icons that it pulled off of this device and then apparently deleted them from the Magellan GPS...

I can turn it on and navigate somewhat, but it won't show caches on the map or the icons on the main menu screen.

Any ideas as to what to do here???

Thanks in advance for any help!

As I went to install the add-ons and everything associated with hooking this device up to my PC, in order to download new caches. The only thing that kept popping up on the comp screen after I plugged it in was: extract pictures? I recognized this as being what it says whenever we hook a digital camera up to the PC too, but thought, "Well, it wouldn't keep popping up if it wasn't how it was supposed to work". Bad idea. My computer now has about 1000 individual little icons that it pulled off of this device and then apparently deleted them from the Magellan GPS...

I can turn it on and navigate somewhat, but it won't show caches on the map or the icons on the main menu screen.

Any ideas as to what to do here???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Go to my website http://www.exploristchat.com and go to the downloads area and download "Firmware V1.7 Restore Set - GCV17.zip". This includes all of the files for the GC. Once you've downloaded it, unzip it to your desktop and then you can copy all of the files onto your GC and it will restore it to the current firmware version. Also, if you want,you could just copy the app>elements directory into the app directory on your GC since that is where the icons live.

Also, I highly suggest keeping a backup copy of all of the files on your GC, just in case something like this happens in the future.

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

Go to my website http://www.exploristchat.com and go to the downloads area and download "Firmware V1.7 Restore Set - GCV17.zip". This includes all of the files for the GC. Once you've downloaded it, unzip it to your desktop and then you can copy all of the files onto your GC and it will restore it to the current firmware version. Also, if you want,you could just copy the app>elements directory into the app directory on your GC since that is where the icons live.

Also, I highly suggest keeping a backup copy of all of the files on your GC, just in case something like this happens in the future.

Hope this helps,

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

Success! Thank you!

Based on countless searches and the frustration displayed by others I thought my Explorist GC was toast after a failed update. I went to the website and got the explorist raw files, moved them to my GPS and Shazam I am back in operation. All of this two days before we go to the Grand Canyon. Thanks Socal ZukiCachers you saved the day!

That's the first thing I do with ANY gps that links to the computer as a flash drive, is I'll make a Whole Directory archive with 7Zip, to the hard drive on the computer, or, if you have access to a linux based computer, 'dd' a image copy of the device (raw copy the entire /dev/sd? device) as a back-up. I did this when I had difficulty with one of the first released 2.13 firmwares.. It took a good 1/2 hour to read (2GB over a USB 2.0 port/cable.), but just as a precaution.. I now, have back-up images of 1.7, 1.8, and 2.15... Each one, just raw-write to the flashRAM (long-detailed method, and definitely not for beginners! also available on MagellanInsider, back when the 2.13 firmware was released.) I also did this with the eXplorist 500.. As well as ALL of my Garmin NuVI's.

7Zip, you simply point the GUI to the Computer menu, and select the drive the GC becomes when you connect it. then, tell it to write the archive.7z file (can be another name) to the hard drive (C:\users\yourname\compass.7z as example.).. it'll take awhile (unless you set it to simply store, which will still create a 2GB file you can compress later on the HD.)

Don't feel bad.. I accidentally wiped the Win-CE OS completely off a cheapy netbook. (Look for Sylvania Netbook, on any search engine.) .. I managed to find replacement image files which could be loaded off the SD card..

simply put.. Incase of the worse case, Always have a backup!