finally founds....

ving

From my perspective as a cache owner, I wish that people would never edit logs. When you post a log, I get a copy of it emailed to me. When you later edit it, I get nothing, not even a notification that it has been edited. Unless I have a specific reason to go to the cache listing, (and I have 128 active ones), and read all of the logs, I have no idea that anything is different than the emailed copies that I received.

I understand that, but my additional information isn't really for the CO as much as it's for later seekers. It doesn't provide the CO any additional information, since presumably I'm making the same stupid mistake I made the first time. I assume when the CO starts to consider whether there's a problem because of multiple DNFs, then he'll look at the cache page in case I've added anything he'd find illuminating.

By the way, you also don't get the complete log if I post a log, Found it or not, and then realize I've made a mistake or omitted something important and edit it to correct the problem. So you probably shouldn't be so confident that you're getting everything if you only look at what's in the e-mail. I'm certainly not going to post a second note for your benefit to say, "I meant to say it was NOT in good shape," I'm just going to fix my log.

I don't mind cachers editing a log for mistakes or to add something minor but changing the log type or other major changes is what I don't like as a CO.

As a rule of thumb, I don't always log a DNF if I am going to be looking again shortly (later that day or the next) or if looked real quick I don't feel that I gave it my best effort. When I do come back shortly and still don't find it I will log a DNF and state that I looked a couple of times.

When I am looking for a cache I don't mind a log that stated that some one looked a few times before finding it. This tells me I might have to look even harder to make the find.

As a cache owner I would like to know right away if there is a potential problem with my cache so a good DNF log with some details is great.

You can never make everyone happy so play the game how you would like and get out side and have fun.

anyone here got a hard to find cache? how do you feel about people whos first log entry goes something like "I have tried this cache so many times but finally today its in my hands!". of course what i am getting at here is that there are a bunch of people out there that dont log their did not finds and this could happen several times with one person. you could have had hundreds of visits but not know.

I am guessing its all about statistics. it doesnt look good to have a whole bunch of DNFs on ones record... :/

anyhow, whats your thoughts on the matter?

For me it's not a matter of having a whole bunch of DNFs (at one point I was running about 50% DNFs), it's more having to do with my ability to leave a civil log when I'm pissed. A few months into this game I went back and read some of my DNF logs and I was appalled. I sounded like a whiny brat. I quit logging DNFs until I could do so without that whiny sound coming through.

If I'm not pissed, I'll log a fine DNF. But I find myself getting pissed when (for example) it's a micro in the woods and there's a bazillion places it could be. I give it a couple of hours, I'm soaked from all wet bushes, I quit having fun ten minutes into the search, and I still didn't find the @#$% thing. In that event, I will not log my DNF because I will later be embarrassed at what I said. Sometimes I'll log it a week or two later when I can do so nicely.

I've gotten more selective at the caches I hunt for, so this doesn't come up as often as it used to. But it is one of many reasons why people don't log their DNFs.

Why in the world would you still be there hours later if you stopped having fun ten minutes after you arrived?

You don't do that? :D

I don't do it often, but I have in the past found them after searching for hours - methodically searching every single spot within a radius and then extending the radius.

I do it because taking the DNF on a cache I really wanted bites worse than searching for an extended period of time. Of course...a DNF after a long search = a double bite! :D