Pocket Query Questions

stedmanrecon

Been going through this caching thing well so far, but was considering jumping on to this thing that I keep hearing referred to as "pocket query"s. Since I have decided to go ahead and be a Premium Member starting int he next couple of days, I have a couple of questions about that real quick.

1- What exactly is a pocket query? And what does it do or what is it used for?

2- Can you use the pocket queries with the iPhone 4S app? If so, can you give me a step by step process of how to use it and what it will do on my my phone app?

3- Since I am currently using the app on my iPhone to conduct all of my geocaching operations, is pocket queries anything that I would really need at all? Or well it work well together?

Thank ya'll.

A PQ's will give you up to 1000 caches and include pretty much everything you see on the cache page when you view it on your PC; description, hints, previous logs, images etc. With the geocaching iPhone app you'll find an option on the main page for Pocket Queries. This lets you download the PQ's to your phone for offline use.

You can run 5 PQ's a day.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

A PQ's will give you up to 1000 caches and include pretty much everything you see on the cache page when you view it on your PC; description, hints, previous logs, images etc. With the geocaching iPhone app you'll find an option on the main page for Pocket Queries. This lets you download the PQ's to your phone for offline use.

You can run 5 PQ's a day.

So, basically if I am using the iPhone/app and geocaching out in a place that I do have service, I don't really need the PQs since I am able to access everything online through my phone? Also, when I do finally decide on a GPS device, can the PQs be downloaded to it somehow (if it has the paperless geocaching feature)?

Yes, if you have a phone data connection you are 'live' on the geocaching site. But it is always useful to have the PQ downloaded... just in case.

Paperless GPS can store PQ's in much the same way but you transfer them via your PC. If you want more information on Garmin and Magellan GPS including which are paperless and what features they support, plus exactly how to do paperless caching on them take a look at my resource site. It is specific for the United Kingdom so things like map info won't necessarily apply to the rest of the world.

Paperless caching (including easy to use 'How To' docs)

GPS features and comparison

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website

Even when I'm using my phone (which I am most of the time when I'm geocaching), I still use PQs. I keep track of solved unfound puzzles in a bookmark list, run a PQ using that bookmark list, and download the PQ to my phone. I have a couple other bookmark lists that I run PQs from, when I'm interested in searching for specific caches. I also use PQs to prepare for caching in areas with little or no service.

You can also run PQs that filter on various criteria, allowing you to search for the kinds of caches you want to find.

Howdy, and welcome to the game.

One aspect of the PQ is that you can retrieve a list of caches that fit certain defined criteria. ie: multi caches, or difficulty 3 & above, terrain 2 & below, or of a certain size, or of date placed, and many others. You can also use a PQ to get caches along a route, say, I35 from San Antonio to Waco. Lots of useful things to cull your search list to those types of caches you want to look for.