Live Map on Geocaching App?

scoldsteve

Looking at the screenshots of the Geocaching program for Android it shows the live map with the individual caches in the general area.. But going into the actual program it seems that it isn't an option for me.. Am I wrong or have I not set the program up properly to enable the feature..

Thanks in advanced for the help..

I don't have an Android but a buddy of mine does and he uses something called "c:geo" and loves it. Kinda does something similar to the "live" type map but with a twist...check it out. Might be just what you're looking for...then again it may not.

I don't have an Android but a buddy of mine does and he uses something called "c:geo" and loves it. Kinda does something similar to the "live" type map but with a twist...check it out. Might be just what you're looking for...then again it may not.

c:geo uses unapproved methods of retrieving data from this site and is completely and utterly unsupported by Groundspeak. If changes are made to the site, it could very possibly break the app (and has in the past).

I've heard a lot of Android users say that Neongeo is an excellent app, and I believe it has a live map that accesses the data in the proper way.

Looking at the screenshots of the Geocaching program for Android it shows the live map with the individual caches in the general area.. But going into the actual program it seems that it isn't an option for me.. Am I wrong or have I not set the program up properly to enable the feature..

After you draw up the list of Nearby Caches, press the phones Menu button and then press "View on Map". If you scroll away from the nearby caches, you can press the phones Menu button and then press "Search Here".

After you draw up the list of Nearby Caches, press the phones Menu button and then press "View on Map". If you scroll away from the nearby caches, you can press the phones Menu button and then press "Search Here".

One of the great things I like about apps with a "Live Map" is that you can be driving down the road and the app automatically populates the map with the surrounding caches. No need to mess with your phone and do a new search every couple miles.

One of the great things I like about apps with a "Live Map" is that you can be driving down the road and the app automatically populates the map with the surrounding caches. No need to mess with your phone and do a new search every couple miles.

Hear hear. I've often said, as we drive along, "there....was one! Dammit!"

c:geo uses unapproved methods of retrieving data from this site and is completely and utterly unsupported by Groundspeak. If changes are made to the site, it could very possibly break the app (and has in the past).

I've heard a lot of Android users say that Neongeo is an excellent app, and I believe it has a live map that accesses the data in the proper way.

Since the thread was bumped I figure I'll post an update on this. Neogeo hasn't been updated in 10 months and the developer is ignoring is own support forum. People might want to look closely at alternatives prior to purchasing Neogeo.

Edited by UMainah

I suppose the constant scraping of the site is the reason that Groundspeak has problems with "live maps" and states that the other app violates the Terms of Use. It is just as easy for me to set up a pq for caches along a route or a large enough search area so that I can stop if I actually want to do so. And if am somewhere unexpected, and feel like I might want to stop, it is not that difficult to search the area just up the road.

I suppose the constant scraping of the site is the reason that Groundspeak has problems with "live maps" and states that the other app violates the Terms of Use. It is just as easy for me to set up a pq for caches along a route or a large enough search area so that I can stop if I actually want to do so. And if am somewhere unexpected, and feel like I might want to stop, it is not that difficult to search the area just up the road.

As already mentioned in the thread, Neogeo has a "Live Map" and does not violate the ToU.

Another app called CacheSense (which has a responsive and active developer unlike neogeo) also has a "Live Map" I believe. The app is also using the official API and does not violate the ToU.