birds eye with etrex 20

RussLinda114

Hey guys. I wanted to find out what birds eye looked like on my etrex 20 before i bought it so i downloaded the demo on basecamp then loaded it on my etrex. It didn't come in clear and i couldn't make anything out so i went into basecamp to look at it and i still couldn't make it out. the image started out blurry and the more i zoomed in the more blurry it got. Is the demo suppose to be blurry or am i doing something wrong. I don't want to buy it if it's blurry. Thanks

I'm not sure about the demo, but once purchased there are different levels of detail. If the demo offers the different levels make sure you have selected the highest.

Not all areas are covered by the same quality of image. The city I live in is covered by Google Earth quality imagery, 50 miles up the highway and it looks like it was drawn with pencil crayons.

The only other thing that leaps to mind is if you tried to download a sample using the pencil tool to draw the outline and it was "too big".

IF you use the pencil tool, Basecamp draws a rectangle around your outline after you click on "download", it then calculates the file size off of this box. In this situation Basecamp will not prevent you from downloading the file if it considers the file size to be too big, it just drops the detail level down and keeps going, without warning.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

I thought of that also so i just used the arrow and outlined a very small box. One thing i noticed is that if i zoomed out to beyond 2 miles before or after i made the box and then downloaded it, The immage comes in a little clearer. If i zoomed in the whole way then made the box and downloaded it,The immage is blurry no mater how much i zoom in or out after i download it.

Well thanks for all the replies. I called Garmin today and explained that the birdseye was fuzzy in basecamp and just like the phone company garmin explained to me that there may not be good quality in my area only. He then pulled out his etrex and loaded my area. It was all fuzzy. I then asked him to load several areas east of Pittsburgh,Pa such as Johnstown,Altoona,Gallitzin and State college They all came back fuzzy. I then asked him to load Major cities In Pa such as Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, and Philadelphia and guess what the images were great. Seems like the birdseye stinks in eastern Pa unless your in the major cities. The guy then started showing me how to do overlays with Google earth which i already know how to do. I really thought that birdseye was to take the place of some overlays. I guess Garmin birdseye is just like the phone companies. Pay for a service and then be told that you can't get it in your area. Really stinks period. If anyone in eastern Pa has birdseye in good quality away form the major cities, Please let me know.