Event Fees

Mike & Jess

I'm very familiar with the policies I've hosted several events. The reason the Kaspuskasing event didn't go was because of this guideline

"If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community, and/or it would take place regardless whether or not it is listed on Geocaching.com, it is likely not an event cache. Examples include music festivals, neighborhood or block parties, and organized sporting events."

Events must be hosted by geocachers for geocachers the Sudbury event was clearly given an exception because of the fact the GPS maze is there. You can have any event that charges money as long as you provide an alternative free option. I held a bowling event it cost money to bowl but people were able to show up and sign the log regardless of whether they took part in the paid activity. I think these types of paid events bring diversity from the same old picnic in a park, I do hope it is the new direction because it offers choice.

Geocacher?

Take note of their hides and finds.

Just because an account doesn't have any finds associated with it, that doesn't mean a geocacher doesn't own the account. For some events, it's not uncommon for the organizers to set up a separate account to own the event(s) and caches associated with the event. Here's an example for a Mega event held near us. No finds, but lots of hides.

Treknschmidt explained one reason why reviewers might not have published some of the events you mentioned. Ignore it if you like or learn from it.

I'm very familiar with the policies I've hosted several events. The reason the Kaspuskasing event didn't go was because of this guideline

"If an event is already organized outside of the geocaching community, and/or it would take place regardless whether or not it is listed on Geocaching.com, it is likely not an event cache. Examples include music festivals, neighborhood or block parties, and organized sporting events."

Events must be hosted by geocachers for geocachers the Sudbury event was clearly given an exception because of the fact the GPS maze is there. You can have any event that charges money as long as you provide an alternative free option. I held a bowling event it cost money to bowl but people were able to show up and sign the log regardless of whether they took part in the paid activity. I think these types of paid events bring diversity from the same old picnic in a park, I do hope it is the new direction because it offers choice.

Geocacher?

Take note of their hides and finds.

Just because an account doesn't have any finds associated with it, that doesn't mean a geocacher doesn't own the account. For some events, it's not uncommon for the organizers to set up a separate account to own the event(s) and caches associated with the event. Here's an example for a Mega event held near us. No finds, but lots of hides.

Treknschmidt explained one reason why reviewers might not have published some of the events you mentioned. Ignore it if you like or learn from it.

The quote Choochoo1996 posted (see end if this post) was a direct cut and paste of a note on the event page (which has now been removed from the GC page). The event host is Dynamic Earth, not a cacher's shadow account or a local organization account. They did aquire the assistance of geocachers to get the event moving, but this was prior to the fee introduction.

I also should have said in my post, zero finds, 1 fee required event and not about what I originally asked.

Regardless, this thread has really gone sideways regarding a specific event.

I'm guessing that this is the cache that you had in mind with the $60 fee: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3WHM4

Thats the 1 he is refering to...Funny thing is 1 day after this thread was started Grounspeak has asked Dynamic Earth to remove this event...

deunderground

Premium Member

Write note

09/20/2012

Unfortunately, though the event was originally cleared to be posted on geocaching.com, Groundspeak has asked us to remove the event.

This does not mean the event is cancelled!

Please check dynamicearth.ca/dynamicdash for event details and we look forward to seeing you next Saturday!

But you can still follow this event at.....

http://saga.forumotion.ca/t10-dynamic-dash-geocache-event

and at.....

http://nog.upnorthtracks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1591&sid=c56a224ee68b28b42c398935678002df

Edited by Mike & Jess

So... even if it's a great event, how high of an admission to an event is too high?

Is charging to attend the new direction of GC events?

I've been to a couple events where a donation jar was used or a small ($2-$5) fee was requested to cover the cost or renting the facilities.

If people are willing to pay an admission fee than let them. I would have had no issue paying $60 for a team of four people. It was listed up front so I would know before posting my intention to attend, in fact if I could be in Sudbury that day I would. The entry fee to get into DE is $22.60/adult do you really think they are getting rich off this? Its clear there is another event in your area taking place that day so there is definitely CHOICE if people wish not to attend. It makes me leary the intention of this thread!

After reviewing the GC page and their calandar page (previously listed in a note on the GC page), no where does it say you get entry into the actual attraction (past the lobby area).

That being said, the GC page has been edited so many times, it may have stated it was incuded in the fee and be gone now.

There are usually ways to avoid charging a fee to attendees: raffles and sponsors.

As for events other than the Dynamic Earth event that has been discussed, I have heard that at least one of the recent larger US events (Midwest Geobash perhaps?) charged fees for pretty much every sub-event, though I guess you could show up and hang out and sign the log for free? I don't know the specifics since I heard about it second hand; hopefully someone else knows more and will share details as it seems relevant to the topic.

Edited by Joshism

There are usually ways to avoid charging a fee to attendees: raffles and sponsors.

As for events other than the Dynamic Earth event that has been discussed, I have heard that at least one of the recent larger US events (Midwest Geobash perhaps?) charged fees for pretty much every sub-event, though I guess you could show up and hang out and sign the log for free? I don't know the specifics since I heard about it second hand; hopefully someone else knows more and will share details as it seems relevant to the topic.

I don't think it was MWGB. I was there, you can certainly spend some money, but there really are no 'fees' as we are discussing them here.

You can buy camping sites, logo merchandise, raffle tickets, food, vendor items, silent auction items, etc.

You can make a donation to the event or the auction.

There is a buy-in to play in the poker tournament, but that is poker.

But there is no actual fee to attend the event or participate in the activities; there really are not sub-events at MWGB.