How do I shorten my range?

greenewoman

I'm fairly new to this and I have a Magellan GSP. I don't know how, but I have caches on my GPS from all over Europe. How do I select to only show the ones nearby. I also recently moved from the Comox Valley to Nanaimo and my waypoint still shows CV. I'm struggling with how Waypoint work. Do I need to get onto my computer and delete them from there? Any help would be appreciated.

It has been a long time since I used a Magellan GPS, and I you did not state what model you are using so I am going to wing it. I use a Garmin. When I go to the find geocache page in my GPS it will list the caches from the closest to my current position on out. This is also how my older Magellan used to work. If this is not what you are seeing maybe you are looking at the wrong screen. If you are a premium member you can set up a pocket query. You can define the distance from a location that you want the query to list. I have my home coordinates as the center point and a 50 mile radius as the distance. I also restrict the caches to 200. Hopefully this helps. If not you might want to add the model of GPS you are using and how you are loading the caches into your GPS.

Sorry, it's a magellan Explorist GC. The thing that throws me is that a few months back, I was checking out caches in mexico. Now I am back home and when I select geocaches on the main screen, it only shows the two that I had set up for Mexico. I have tried to cancel or stop the trip, but it keeps going there.

The caches from Europe may very well have been pre-loaded onto the Magellan when you bought it. The easiest thing to do is to connect your Magellan to your computer, and when you get the prompt on your computer of what you'd like to do - tell it to open the folder to view files. When you do that, you'll see a bunch of folders, but one will be called "Geocaches" and one will be called "Waypoints." When you open those up, you should be able to see the files inside, so look for ones that you didn't put in there. Magellan will often have 1000 favorite caches pre-loaded so look for a file that's named something like that. Once you delete that file in each folder, you hopefully shouldn't see any more caches in Europe!

I'm guessing the reason your GPS still shows your old location is that you haven't taken it outside and let it pick up satellite signals? Whenever I use my Magellan one place and turn it off there, then bring it home, when I turn it on at home it still shows that previous location, and will continue to do so until I get outside and let it pick up new satellite signals.

[Edit]: You're talking about your "waypoint" still showing your old location? That's something you set up yourself - like your "home" waypoint? You should be able to take a new waypoint at your house and set it as your "home" location, if that's what you mean.

Edited by redwoodkestrel

The caches from Europe may very well have been pre-loaded onto the Magellan when you bought it. The easiest thing to do is to connect your Magellan to your computer, and when you get the prompt on your computer of what you'd like to do - tell it to open the folder to view files. When you do that, you'll see a bunch of folders, but one will be called "Geocaches" and one will be called "Waypoints." When you open those up, you should be able to see the files inside, so look for ones that you didn't put in there. Magellan will often have 1000 favorite caches pre-loaded so look for a file that's named something like that. Once you delete that file in each folder, you hopefully shouldn't see any more caches in Europe!

I'm guessing the reason your GPS still shows your old location is that you haven't taken it outside and let it pick up satellite signals? Whenever I use my Magellan one place and turn it off there, then bring it home, when I turn it on at home it still shows that previous location, and will continue to do so until I get outside and let it pick up new satellite signals.

[Edit]: You're talking about your "waypoint" still showing your old location? That's something you set up yourself - like your "home" waypoint? You should be able to take a new waypoint at your house and set it as your "home" location, if that's what you mean.

If the queries were loaded to a SD card, they should be in individual files.

Once it is booted -- no need to acquire satellites, go through the Main Menu and access the SD card. Once there, it *should* allow you to access other files. It may state: Maps; New; Open or the like. Select "Open".

I too, am just winging it. I don't use a Magellan.