Cache Placement Pre-Approval

I'm looking a placing a couple caches in remote locations, without having exact cordinates for the cache placement. I want to having some sort of pre-approval before placing them as I would be pretty upset if they got rejected after making the trips.

The caches will all be within my province and within the Sudbury District (which I live and work). The district happens to be huge. The point of these will be to provide an adventure for both myself (the cache owner) and the cachers looking for them.

What general steps would one take to make sure to have these caches 100% pre-approved before heading out on the placement adventures?

I plant to speak with one or more of the provincial reviewers (amazing group btw, have met all of them in person).

I hope to provide a set of cordinates with the explenation that the cache will be within a 5km radius of the cords. Local terrain and conditions will dictate the actual location and final cords.

I would consider creating a temporary GC page for each cache, but the contents and information provided would probably change heavily once I have been to the location and can provide more valid info as to what to expect.

to make sure to have these caches 100% pre-approved before heading out on the placement adventures?

I plant to speak with one or more of the provincial reviewers (amazing group btw, have met all of them in person).

I hope to provide a set of cordinates with the explenation that the cache will be within a 5km radius of the cords. Local terrain and conditions will dictate the actual location and final cords.

I would consider creating a temporary GC page for each cache, but the contents and information provided would probably change

Speaking as a reviewer, I don't think 100% pre-approval is possible for a cache that may move 5k from it's proposed location.

However, I'd suggest writing up a cache page using your approximated coords, and add additional waypoints if you're thinking of more then one cache. Then ask the area reviewer to take a look at it. Some reviewers would prefer that you leave this listing disabled, and email them with GC Code, others would like it enabled into the regular review queue.

It doesn't need text, beyond the explanation that you're asking for input on these proposed locations, which may change.

to make sure to have these caches 100% pre-approved before heading out on the placement adventures?

I would consider creating a temporary GC page for each cache, but the contents and information provided would probably change

Speaking as a reviewer, I don't think 100% pre-approval is possible for a cache that may move 5k from it's proposed location.

However, I'd suggest writing up a cache page using your approximated coords, and add additional waypoints if you're thinking of more then one cache. Then ask the area reviewer to take a look at it. Some reviewers would prefer that you leave this listing disabled, and email them with GC Code, others would like it enabled into the regular review queue.

It doesn't need text, beyond the explanation that you're asking for input on these proposed locations, which may change.

Thanks you for the response. Maybe 5km is a bit much, but I want to leave myself space to work with.

I've already done enough homework to confirm there are no caches in the area, and the land is concidered Crown Land (Government owned, not private). With those potential issues removed, only the distance from home on one (my favorite of the bunch) would be a deal breaker.

I'll find out what is the prefered GC page prep method and run with that.

Edited by Mike & Jess

I'm guessing the local reviewer would be willing to tell you if any caches are within 5km of your location. But I'd be surprised if they "reserved" that entire 5-km circle for you until you made your final placement--more likely just a 161-metre circle.

So, there's always the chance that someone might place a cache, say, 3km from your original location while you're planning your cache. If you moved your actual location to within 161 metres of the newly placed cache, then you'd be out of luck.

I'm guessing the local reviewer would be willing to tell you if any caches are within 5km of your location. But I'd be surprised if they "reserved" that entire 5-km circle for you until you made your final placement--more likely just a 161-metre circle.

So, there's always the chance that someone might place a cache, say, 3km from your original location while you're planning your cache. If you moved your actual location to within 161 metres of the newly placed cache, then you'd be out of luck.

Kind of unlikely to be an issue, but yes, very possible. More then likely, the cache will be well within 1km of the original cordinates. The issue with trying to predict the exact location is there is not a lot of accurate date of the local landscape in these area. The one location which I am working on now, the only real accurate data I have is the mile markers along the railroad which runs through the area. Google Earth is unusable for most or all the areas, and the topos will be iffy.

I will make sure to have all the research and information I obtained available to the reviewers.

only the distance from home on one (my favorite of the bunch) would be a deal breaker.

Be sure and tell the reviewer how you plan to maitain the cache if it's a great distance from your home.

Bulletproof caches will be the start.

I've tested a number of different setups with some of my local (easy) caches and am very comfident (with proof) that I can assemble a maintenance free cache for our area.

I will further discuss this with the specific reviewer(s) as it'll be at their discression.

The furthest cache from home will be visited a number of times for sure as it offers a lot more then just a smiley face.