Google Street View Trekker

I remember when Google Street Views first came out, somebody here issued a challenge to see if anybody could spot a geocache in one of the street view pictures (people have posted pictures here of geocachers caught while caching). This should provide an even greater chance for it!

That's pretty cool.

I was pretty jazzed to see the google streets car cruising around a couple months ago. Just thought it was kinda neat :)

What about the Google drones flying their grids and taking the Google 3D photos? (Google won't comment on the use of unmanned drones, which tells me that that is exactly what they used)

Google's Street View has gone off-road with Trekker, allowing trails to be mapped by backpackers.

Should be a great tool for geocachers!

And, when these backpacks become available to geocachers we can truly map our world.

http://signalnews.co...iew-trekker-945

This looks cool.

Did anybody actually saw one of these. I would like to know what's the weight of a packpack like the ones from your links.

They've already mapped some of the sidewalks and trails on the campus where I work. The images appeared a couple of months ago and I think I remember reading at the time that there were four universities where sidewalk/trail imagery was available. One of the paths goes right next to the building in which I work and includes a photo of one of my colleagues sitting at his desk working. I've thought about creating a puzzle cache based on trail imagery where one would have to virtually walk down a trail to obtain information on signs, the number of steps on a stairway, etc. to obtain final coordinates.