GPS Basics

I have just got into the world of geocaching 3 days ago and Im in hook line and sinker already!! Ive been using the geocaching.com app on my android phone and it seems to work well, however I think I might want to look into getting a handheld GPS to use instead. I know nothing about them. Some of the questions I have are:

Does the handheld unit download the cache locations somehow or do I have to mannually download them to the unit?

Do they come preloaded with maps are do they have to be purchased seperate?

I've noticed that some caches are pretty deep into wooded areas, where it could be really easy to get turned around and lost. There is an app I downloaded called c:geo, that actually traces your path on the map so you can retrace your steps back out, doe handheld units have this capability?

What are some MUSTHAVE features when purchasing a handheld GPS primarily for geocaching?

What unit would you recommend, I have the mindset of I would rather spend more money up front then to have to upgrade later down the road.

Thanks in advance for any imput you can give.

aromaff16

I have just got into the world of geocaching 3 days ago and Im in hook line and sinker already!! Ive been using the geocaching.com app on my android phone and it seems to work well, however I think I might want to look into getting a handheld GPS to use instead. I know nothing about them. Some of the questions I have are:

Does the handheld unit download the cache locations somehow or do I have to mannually download them to the unit?

You have to load the caches onto the GPS. However, with the newer GPSrs this is a very simple process using the pocket queries from Geocaching.com

Do they come preloaded with maps are do they have to be purchased seperate?

This depends on the GPS you buy. Since I'm a Magellan Insider (Beta Tester) I'll start with them. All of the Magellan eXplorist units GC, 110, 310, 510, 610 & 710 come preloaded with a Worldwide base map. The 310 and higher units also give you the capability to add maps to them, both those purchased from Magellan and custom maps which you can make for yourself with free software. The eX610 also comes preloaded with 1:24K TOPO maps, which will normally cost you an $100+ when purchasing a Garmin GPS. The eX710 also comes with the US 1:24K TOPO maps as well as the US City Streets map which gives you road routing capabilities just like a Magellan Roadmate Auto Navigation unit

I've noticed that some caches are pretty deep into wooded areas, where it could be really easy to get turned around and lost. There is an app I downloaded called c:geo, that actually traces your path on the map so you can retrace your steps back out, doe handheld units have this capability?

Absolutely, the handheld GPSrs are built for this very purpose. They will track and store your every step and you can also save them in the unit for future use as well as using them for routes to find your way back to the same location later.

What are some MUSTHAVE features when purchasing a handheld GPS primarily for geocaching?

This really depends on the type of cacher you are? Personally, I do the majority of my caching off road on my ATV or 4x4 so I want Satellite map capabilites; however, not all cachers need or want this. However, paperless caching is a much and so it ease of use as well as a screen that can be easily seen in bright light. Also, consider the size of the screen, especially if your a bit older like me and remember to look at the battery life specs as well, because you really don't want to be changing the batteries every two hours.

What unit would you recommend, I have the mindset of I would rather spend more money up front then to have to upgrade later down the road.

Being a tester I used a number of different GPSrs, the majority being Magellan units but I've also used the Garmin 60Csx, 62St, Origen 450t and Montana 650 and I personally own several units and the top unit that I would recommened in the Magellan eXplorist 610. This unit is easy to use, has a larger screen, comes preloaded with 1:24K Topo maps, full featured paperless caching, electronic compass, barometer; plus a micro SD slot, Geotagging camera and video camera, and audio recorder as well as up to 18hours of battery life.

Thanks in advance for any imput you can give.

aromaff16

David

Magellan Insider

So I found a magellan 610 online for 225.00, the same online store has a magellan 710 for $275. What is the difference between the 2 and Would the 710 be worth the extra 50.00?

www.twoxi.com/ isi the website.

Thanks for the help.

go here: http://www.magellang...eXploristseries

click the check mark under each product then click the word "compare"

The difference is the available memory and the preloaded maps.

The previous post summarized the 710:

"The eX710 also comes with the US 1:24K TOPO maps as well as the US City Streets map which gives you road routing capabilities just like a Magellan Roadmate Auto Navigation unit"

Edited by Team Periwinkle