Computer to GPS connection

Daemon-Xillix

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a Garmin 12XL and I would like to be able to download cache coordinates from my PC to it.

So far, I have a 4 pin GPS to Serial RS232 (and 12V power) cable. I've been to the Garmin website to check for firmware updates. My 12XL seems to be running Version 2.02 and that appears to be the final version? The PC is running Windows XP SP3 it's a P4.

When I've tried to upload cache coordinates, nothing is happening. I don't see the Garmin in my computer's hardware profiles under the COM1 port.

Do I need a Serial to USB adapter to correct the interface, or am I doing something wrong?

Advice is greatly appreciated!

When I've tried to upload cache coordinates, nothing is happening. I don't see the Garmin in my computer's hardware profiles under the COM1 port.

Do I need a Serial to USB adapter to correct the interface, or am I doing something wrong?

What software are you using to upload caches to the 12XL? Garmin Communicator may not work with serial ports. Try EasyGPS or GSAK.

Does your computer have a serial port? I'm guessing yes here. If it does, you don't need a USB to serial adapter. The adapter doesn't turn your 12XL into a USB device, it merely converts your USB port into a serial port.

Chrysalides, thanks for your reply and tech help.

Per your recommendation I just installed EasyGPS, the 12XL is down loading coordinates, YEAH!

Previously I had tried Garmin Communicator; it seemed to search unsuccessfully for my GPS, that's all it did.

Glad it is working :) I recalled reading somewhere that Garmin only support the newer USB units with Garmin Communicator, but they seemed to have removed that text.

By the way, the GPS and Technology forums is also a great place to ask such questions.