Magellan Explorist GC HELP!

My GPS is acting funky. It won't stay on past the loading screen unless it is plugged into the computer. I have changed out the batteries. I have it set to accept Alkaline and have been using alkaline so I don't see what the problem could be. Any advice? I have tried taking the batteries out for 30 mins and restarting, still no difference. The weird thing is is that I can use everything and go through the menus as long as it is plugged in to the computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-PrincessBubbleWopper

My GPS is acting funky. It won't stay on past the loading screen unless it is plugged into the computer. I have changed out the batteries. I have it set to accept Alkaline and have been using alkaline so I don't see what the problem could be. Any advice? I have tried taking the batteries out for 30 mins and restarting, still no difference. The weird thing is is that I can use everything and go through the menus as long as it is plugged in to the computer.

-PrincessBubbleWopper

Sounds like a battery problem. Make sure you are using batteries that are fresh out of a new pack.

Also make sure that where the batteries touch the metal contacts are clean and shiny. A pencil eraser works well to clean them up.

The type of battery selected shouldn't matter. That setting is for the battery meter. Each type of battery has a slightly different discharge characteristics. That setting keep the battery meter from showing incorrect battery levels between fully charged and fully discharged.

I am having the same problem, have you found any solutions yet or is it a faulty product?

What have you tried so far?

Is the unit totally powering off? I'm asking because sometimes the unit can get caught in a bootup loop which is caused by improper HTML in the GPX files, which should be fixed in the coming firmware release.

If so, how long have you had the unit? Please don't take that to mean that I'm saying there should be a limit to the life of these units, I just need to know in order to follow up on this!

David

Magellan Insider

I have had the item less than a week, It is going back to the company today. I've tried updating the software, different batteries (of the same kind) resetting the device and nothing works

If you run into any more problems after having the unit replaced, please feel free to contact me at Zukicacher@gmail.com so we can make sure that you're a satisfied Magellan customer.

David

Magellan Insider

-PrincessBubbleWopper

same thing happensa to me...it has a lot og bugs....not worth the money...very disappointed

You seem to be having a lot of problems with your eXp GC. Short battery life, PQs reloading caches, stuck on the loading screen, etc. I don't think anyone on these forums is going to be able to give you the level of help you need. I think you may need professional help.

The MagellanGPS Technical Support Website is at http://support.magellangps.com. I personally haven't had to use that level of help but from people that I know who have they've been happy with the results.