60CSX/ GSAK/ Pocket Query help

My husband always did the pq's,loaded our gps, and off we went. He passed away and I'm trying to learn how to do what he did in minutes. I made the pocket query in a zip file, found the GSAK program on his computer, and now stuck on how to unzip the file with the gsak and get the caches loaded into the gps. Can someone please help with "in a nut shell instructions"? We're at 947 and would like to get to 1000 in his honor. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

With GSAK you do not have to bother with the unzipping - GSAK automagically does that for you. In the file->Load GPX menu just point to the downloaded PQ. Once you load the PQ into GSAK you then connect your GPS to your computer and in the GPS menu select Send Waypoints. Send should do it. I am assuming your husband had the GPS setup already set up, but if not use the GPS setup menu to set the correct GPS model.

Hope this helps, come back if you have more question.

Good luck on the hunting :)

Edited by jholly

With GSAK you do not have to bother with the unzipping - GSAK automagically does that for you. In the file->Load GPX menu just point to the downloaded PQ. Once you load the PQ into GSAK you then connect your GPS to your computer and in the GPS menu select Send Waypoints. Send should do it. I am assuming your husband had the GPS setup already set up, but if not use the GPS setup menu to set the correct GPS model.

You're awesome thanks! It worked but it down loaded all his previous PQ's and now there are 1200+. How I delete the old pq's or else delete everything and then reload the most recent. I'm almost there! I looked on every option in the tool bars and can't find a delete file choice. I really appreciate the help.

You're awesome thanks! It worked but it down loaded all his previous PQ's and now there are 1200+. How I delete the old pq's or else delete everything and then reload the most recent. I'm almost there! I looked on every option in the tool bars and can't find a delete file choice. I really appreciate the help.

Go to the database in question, and database->Delete all waypoints. This will clear the database, or alternately in the load menu on the left side in the box Clear databasse before loading tick the checkbox.

You will not have only the waypoint is the PQ.

You will have to clear the 60CSX on the unit itself, there is no way to clear it via computer.

Oops forgot to tell you after I hit send waypoints my gps said "waypoints full" Is there an easier way to delete all the caches off the gps and just enter my recent PQ. I'm in the garmin manual and can't find how to delete and also went to the GSAK site and couldn't find an answer. Thanks again for the help your awesome!

Oops forgot to tell you after I hit send waypoints my gps said "waypoints full" Is there an easier way to delete all the caches off the gps and just enter my recent PQ. I'm in the garmin manual and can't find how to delete and also went to the GSAK site and couldn't find an answer. Thanks again for the help your awesome!

From foggy memory ....

find->menu->delete...->all symbols or something like that.

My husband always did the pq's,loaded our gps, and off we went. He passed away and I'm trying to learn how to do what he did in minutes. I made the pocket query in a zip file, found the GSAK program on his computer, and now stuck on how to unzip the file with the gsak and get the caches loaded into the gps. Can someone please help with "in a nut shell instructions"? We're at 947 and would like to get to 1000 in his honor. Thanks in advance for the help.

Debill,

Your solution might be at http://coord.info/GC3MW4R or some other nearby event. Post a note at the web page that you are coming and that you are hoping to get some help with GSAK and PQs. Take as much of your equipment to that event (cables, GPS, computer if laptop); get there at least 15 minutes early and set yourself up at a table; make sure your name tag is clear and visible; turn your equipment on (that's like a magnet in this crowd). If someone asks if they could join you, ask them if they know something about GSAK (be sure to pronounce it like a pro "G-sak"). If they ask “what’s that” then tell them that you are expecting others. In this crowd it will be very straightforward; there will be dozens who can give you tips and will be grateful to have been able to be helpful (I know many of these folks). Even if you are not getting any help right away, there will be a time when there won’t be enough tables (this group is big, no restaurant is big enough) that someone will pretty much have to sit down next to you, particularly if you chose a table close to where the event host has set up the TBs and log. Don’t be shy, because many of them are. Have fun

Edited by Hynr

Your solution might be at http://coord.info/GC3MW4R or some other nearby event. Post a note at the web page that you are coming and that you are hoping to get some help with GSAK and PQs. Take as much of your equipment to that event (cables, GPS, computer if laptop); get there at least 15 minutes early and set yourself up at a table; make sure your name tag is clear and visible; turn your equipment on (that's like a magnet in this crowd). If someone asks if they could join you, ask them if they know something about GSAK (be sure to pronounce it like a pro "G-sak"). If they ask “what’s that” then tell them that you are expecting others. In this crowd it will be very straightforward; there will be dozens who can give you tips and will be grateful to have been able to be helpful (I know many of these folks). Even if you are not getting any help right away, there will be a time when there won’t be enough tables (this group is big, no restaurant is big enough) that someone will pretty much have to sit down next to you, particularly if you chose a table close to where the event host has set up the TBs and log. Don’t be shy, because many of them are. Have fun