e-trex legend map downloads

I have a 2005 Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue one with the weird RS-232 interface cable so it can't take GPX files). I already have the basic Garmin basecamp map on the GPS, but it only shows highways. I don't like printing off paper maps since it's bad for the environment, but I also don't like getting lost without a map.

I would really like to add maps to my GPS but I don't believe that the overall cost of the GPS plus maps is worth what they are charging for them compared to a device that has maps already on it (Legend + maps= $225 vs Explorist GC with built-in maps and paperless caching = $150). At any rate, until I can afford to upgrade I was told that I can download open source maps or open street maps. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get those maps from my computer onto my GPSr.

Does anyone know how to get the maps onto my GPSr, or even if it's possible to do that with this particular model of GPS?

cameracowgirl

I have a 2005 Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue one with the weird RS-232 interface cable so it can't take GPX files). I already have the basic Garmin basecamp map on the GPS, but it only shows highways. I don't like printing off paper maps since it's bad for the environment, but I also don't like getting lost without a map.

I would really like to add maps to my GPS but I don't believe that the overall cost of the GPS plus maps is worth what they are charging for them compared to a device that has maps already on it (Legend + maps= $225 vs Explorist GC with built-in maps and paperless caching = $150). At any rate, until I can afford to upgrade I was told that I can download open source maps or open street maps. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get those maps from my computer onto my GPSr.

Does anyone know how to get the maps onto my GPSr, or even if it's possible to do that with this particular model of GPS?

cameracowgirl

That's the same GPS I used for my first several hundred caches, and yes it takes maps. Like all Garmin units, you have to use either the older Garmin Mapsource program, or the newer Garmin Basecamp (available as a free download from Garmin). The free maps you download from places like www.gpsfiledepot.com can be loaded into either of those programs, and then transferred to the Legend.

There are tons of free, great maps on that website that will work just fine on the Legend. Just keep in mind that the unit's internal memory is limited, so you will have to pick and choose which map tiles you want to upload. Good luck!

I got some advice this afternoon on how to download from mapsource. I managed to get the mapsource map into the BaseCamp map but when I went to put it on the GPS the MapInstall said that it couldn't download the 494KB of information (the map for my local area) to my GPS, even though the GPS manual said that there is supposed to be 8MB of space on the unit. I was told on another site just now that due to it's unique interface cord, the eTrex Legend can only handle the purchased basecamp maps.

Are you sure you had the exact same unit of GPS and that you put the free maps on it?

cameracowgirl

Yes, it worked and the unit displays the map. Upload was done from Mapsource 6.16.3. I suggest you use that instead, Basecamp and Mapinstall seems to be part of Garmin's "great new software paradigm" and I don't think I ever saw anything in the software work as intended... :P

The softwares share the same map sets so if the map is visible in Mapinstall all you should need to do is to download and install Mapsource and that will display the map for upload as well.

Edited by tr_s

I got some advice this afternoon on how to download from mapsource. I managed to get the mapsource map into the BaseCamp map but when I went to put it on the GPS the MapInstall said that it couldn't download the 494KB of information (the map for my local area) to my GPS, even though the GPS manual said that there is supposed to be 8MB of space on the unit. I was told on another site just now that due to it's unique interface cord, the eTrex Legend can only handle the purchased basecamp maps.

Are you sure you had the exact same unit of GPS and that you put the free maps on it?

cameracowgirl

Yes, I loaded it with free topo maps of parts of ND, MT, and MN from GPSfiledepot using Mapsource.

It's not a "unique" interface cord, it's just an old serial style interface. That may be your problem. You can not use the more recent standard USB cable to interface with the Legend unless you also have a USB-to-serial converter. Also, check to make sure the Legend is in Garmin Communications mode (Setup -> Interface -> Serial Data Format -> Garmin). Finally, double check that Basecamp is looking on the serial ports and not the USB ports for the Legend (I honestly don't know if BC can do that, since I still use Mapsource to transfer maps and keep track of my waypoints even with my Oregon 450).

It looks like tr_s figured it out, so maybe some more advice will come from him. Like I said, I don't use Basecamp yet...

Edited by StarDoc

I downloaded the Mapsource maps and selected the section where I go caching the most (Southern Vancouver Island) and tried to send it to my GPS. Unfortunately, it won't send it because the map set is 8.47MB and my unit only has 7.98MB of available space (the manual says that the GPS can only take 8MB). It said to select fewer maps, but I'm only selecting one map. When I went to send the map to my GPS I also got a pop-up window saying to lower the "baud rate" if the transfer didn't work. It tried that, but it made no difference.

Is there some box or drop-down list that I'm not ticking that's causing the map to have too much information on it?

cameracowgirl

I downloaded the Mapsource maps and selected the section where I go caching the most (Southern Vancouver Island) and tried to send it to my GPS. Unfortunately, it won't send it because the map set is 8.47MB and my unit only has 7.98MB of available space (the manual says that the GPS can only take 8MB). It said to select fewer maps, but I'm only selecting one map. When I went to send the map to my GPS I also got a pop-up window saying to lower the "baud rate" if the transfer didn't work. It tried that, but it made no difference.

Is there some box or drop-down list that I'm not ticking that's causing the map to have too much information on it?

cameracowgirl

Unfortunately the size a map tile takes up is fixed. If it can't fit in the GPS, then there is not much you can do.

However, I happen to have the Ibycus Topo 3.2 on my computer. That's also a free map of Canada. Tiles of the absolute southernmost part of Vancouver Island seem to take up 5 MB - so try that one maybe? It's a freaking large download though, (3GB+) which can be found on a certain pirate bay - but it's legal to download and distribute.

Northwest Topos includes southern VI. http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/

At nearly 1Gb it is still a large download.

Also ask under 'Geocaching Groups by Country - Canada' Likely some/many that frequent there have the

mapsets on their computer/GPSr and can tell you sizes.

With a unit that old (does it even have a color display?) the map display ability was very limited

(first generation) and little was available to display on it.

A review on the GC says it comes with a worldwide base map. If it is like the basemap on Garmin GPSrs,

it will only have major highways.

Best to actually test the units under consideration at a local store. Size, display size, shape, etc.

many make a good sounding GPSr undiserable for a purchaser.

Edited by snowfleurys