Open route in Navigon or TomTom

germanybert

I did a search and could not find anything on this.

I would love to see a new feature for the Geocaching App of opening the Navigate to Cache in the Navigon or TomTom app on my iPhone.

This is be great since it would eliminate the need to zoom and unzoom the Geocaching App and thus make driving much safer.

There is an app called Geo Bucket that does this but I prefer the Geocaching app.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

I did a search and could not find anything on this.

I would love to see a new feature for the Geocaching App of opening the Navigate to Cache in the Navigon or TomTom app on my iPhone.

This is be great since it would eliminate the need to zoom and unzoom the Geocaching App and thus make driving much safer.

There is an app called Geo Bucket that does this but I prefer the Geocaching app.

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

I can see a couple of issues with this.

First of all, navigation in apps like Navigon or TomTom use a "route based navigation" (also called turn-by-turn navigation). A route, in this case, is a path from your current location to a destination waypoint, and that path is determined using the routing data available in the app which almost almost means streets, roads, or highways. This works well if you're in your car and want to find the nearest Chinese restaurant because your destination waypoint is going to be along the route. However, geocaches are not always along a route. You might be able to use route based navigation to get to parking coordinates for a cache (assuming the CO has providing them) but the cache itself might be 1/4 of a mile or much further from a road (route). Once you get to the closest point on a route to the cache you're going to want to use "as the crow flies navigation" (a straight line between where you are and where you want to go) even if you're following a twisty trail. I don't like this suggestion simply because it presumes that geocaches are always near a road.

The other issue is that if you can switch from the Geocaching app to some other app like TomTom, Navigon, Telenav, etc. how are you going to get back? TomTom, Navigon, etc. are not going to change their apps to provide a way to get back to the Geocaching app.

I meant only to get to the parking location or nearby.

Don't need to get back to the Geocaching app since one I reach the destination I will be using my dedicated GPSr. For those without a dedicated GPSr just switch back to the Geocaching App and close the navigation app.