Magellan Explorist GC

I have a Magellan Explorist GC that was been updated tot he newest version 1.7. It worked for a few days, but now when you start it produces an error screen and never completely boots.

The screen says:

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program’s internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now terminate.

Program: Compass.exe

I have reset it by the paper clip method. I have to pull the batteries to get it to actually turn it. The only way to get it to connect to the computer is to start it in mass storage modes (holding the joystick up, menu button, and power button) while it is already connected to the computer. I was able to rerun the firmware update and it completed, but when the GPS restarts it produces the same error. I even went so far as to take the compass.exe off a friends device and temporarily replace it on my device with no success. I did switch it back to the original compass.exe after this.

Anyone successfully recovered from this?