etrex 10

Hi! I have a new eTrex 10 that I was having problems with figuring out how to delete unwanted geocaches. Well with help from this forum I was able to delete geocaches but I think I may have inadvertantly deleted the base map as the map no longer appears when trying to use the device. Help, please? Thanks!

Yes, you could have done so, a gmapbmap file should be in the \Garmin folder of the device - if not you have deleted it.

It would surprise me if those very basic maps are device locked. Maybe another user can send you his map file so that you can replace it.

Guess you didn't back up your Etrex 10 at the beginning? Once it's working again it's a good idea to make a full back up of the original files just in case, like now, you need them later. You can get a Basemap from here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=6299

that I believe will work for you.

Any chance that if antarcticannie owns a Mac, and hasn't emptied her trash she might find it in the trash can on her device?

The eTrex-10 has a VERY rough resolution 1MB basemap, which differs from the basemap of the color devices (~60 MB). The link someone posted just showed a $99 citynavigator purchasing page. I don't see any basemaps on the Garmin download site.

Oh by the way... the fact that Garmin doesn't provide a tool to reset the memory area to factory standards - not good, would save lots of headaches!

Edited by tr_s

Thanks Everyone. Yep I should have backed up the files but hindsight is 20/20. So now I'm wondering since the basemap is such a crappy one, where can I buy a map to download to the etrex? Thanks!

Don't think you can do that to an Etrex 10. It will work with a 20 or 30, but you can't load maps on a 10 (unless you can find that basemap).

Edited by seldom_sn

Assuming you have a PC and not a Mac:

Connect your Etrex to your PC

Open Windows Explorer

Copy all files from the Etrex to somewhere on your PC

Job done :)

Addition to this, turning on "Show hidden files/system files" in Folder options in control panel should probably be done before doing it as well. Some files in the root of my 30 are hidden at least, i think.