Automatic cache notification apps

Not a stupid question. it would certainly be possible to do. I think reason no one has done it is because you would have to keep the GPSr in the device active at all times to keep checking. On my Blackberry, this gives me a battery life of about 4 hours. This kind of battery drain is usually more than people would like. Maybe some devices do better than this.

Might be possible in a non-Geocaching GPS navigation app that can import custom POIs, and it should be possible with a Garmin Nuvi type car navigation GPS. Putting Geocaches on the Nuvi as POIs would require (at a minimum) Garmin's free POI Loader, and (for a basic member) either GPSBabel to convert .loc files to one or more .gpx files, or .gpx files saved to the GPS via the Send to GPS button. Premium members could just use pocket queries with POI Loader, and could put paperless style info on a variety of Nuvi models with the use of GSAK.

Edit: Oh, and as far as keeping a device (phone or otherwise) active, that's where a DC car adapter comes in handy. I've had my phone's Geocaching (and GPS navigation) apps running constantly for hours using a DC->USB adapter and a USB sync/charge cord. Of course, the programs I use would not be using a data connection, that might be an issue depending on the plan. :)

Edited by EdrickV