wifi Ipad & GPSr

So I'm currently using an wifi iPad, jailbroken with a TomTom MKII GPSr with BTStack GPS. It seems to hang pretty regularly and the accuracy doesn't seem to be too strong. I'm often resorting to using the GPS in my BlackBerry which is pretty decent.

I love my iPad and love taking it out in the field with me for trail runs and caching. (I pack it into this http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4447993&emssrcid=GoogleBase:PS4447993 and the iPad is protected with this: http://www.gumdropcases.com/drop-series-ipad-2-case.html )

What I need your help with is input on the various GPSr that are available for the iPad. I don't use the jailbreaking for anything other than the BTStack app, so I'll be happy to un-break my iPad and return to the unadulterated iOS.

Anyway, here's what I see out there. Please advise if you know of other devices. Also I'm not super savy on the chipsets out there for GPS so any insights you have re: chipsets in these devices would be appreciated.

BadElf http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Receiver-generation-66-channel/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336060811&sr=8-1

I don't mind the dongle sticking out of the end, althought I don't count it as a plus either. Seems to have largely good reviews, although there are a fair number of concerning reviews as well.

Dual Electronics XGPS150A http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth-Smartphones/dp/B006M49G80/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Seems to have pretty glowing reviews althought there were a couple comments about app incompatability. I do like being able to put the receiver on my arm when running. Also won't drain iPad battery power...although it's battery life is only something like 6 to 7 hours.

Emprum UltiMate GPS Receiver http://www.amazon.com/Emprum-UltiMate-Receiver-desktop-computers/dp/B005I0JYUY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1336060811&sr=8-6

This one seems like the underdog of the group, but it has some pretty strong reviews as well. Seems like they have excellent customer service as well. Again a plug in to the 30-pin port, but that's not the end of the world. They claim better specs than their competitors. True?

Any feedback or first hand experience from folks would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I have the Dual Electronics XGPS 150A and I really like it. I've been using it with the GeoBucket app, but mostly to give a big-picture view while in the car...great for power trails.

I haven't tried to use it in the field since I don't have that cool gumdrop case, but there have been no connectivity issues. The biggest problem has been mapping. Since my iPad is also wifi only, I only get the maps that have been cached by the apps I use. There are some great offline map programs, but none that support geocaching directly. (MotionX GPS HD works but with a limited number of caches & limited info in the GPX file)

Check out iPlunder HD, it works pretty well, but usually I go with GeoBucket. I've been using Dropbox to get my GSAK files onto the iPad, and then using FoxFi on my android phone to make it a wifi hotspot when I need to update the map on the iPad if I get outside the area of my cached maps.

I have the Dual Electronics XGPS 150A and I really like it. I've been using it with the GeoBucket app, but mostly to give a big-picture view while in the car...great for power trails.

I haven't tried to use it in the field since I don't have that cool gumdrop case, but there have been no connectivity issues. The biggest problem has been mapping. Since my iPad is also wifi only, I only get the maps that have been cached by the apps I use. There are some great offline map programs, but none that support geocaching directly. (MotionX GPS HD works but with a limited number of caches & limited info in the GPX file)

Check out iPlunder HD, it works pretty well, but usually I go with GeoBucket. I've been using Dropbox to get my GSAK files onto the iPad, and then using FoxFi on my android phone to make it a wifi hotspot when I need to update the map on the iPad if I get outside the area of my cached maps.

Does iPlunder support offline map caching?

Def. think about getting the gumdrop case. I love it.

Does iPlunder support offline map caching?

Def. think about getting the gumdrop case. I love it.

iPlunder has the same map caching as GeoBucket...it remembers what you've looked at recently, but you can't tell how big of an area you have stored onboard. I believe it's an iPad default setting. I wish Garmin would sell a map package like City Navigator or their 24K Topo package for iPad...then it could be linked to other apps.

Definitely looking at the gumdrop case...I want the red & black one.

I wish Garmin would sell a map package like City Navigator or their 24K Topo package for iPad...then it could be linked to other apps.

Did someone mention Topo Maps for iPad?

I like the sound of TopoMaps. I still wish I had satellite views cached but this seems pretty good.

Tripple Crown...you'll like the red and black one...looks slick. it's the one I have and I really enjoy it. I'll post a photo later.

Any further word on this? I'm looking at the same 3 for my iPhone. Emprum does seem to have the best customer support of the bunch, but I haven't seen many folks using them for caching. Do we really need the 5 k update or is this more important for lap timers traveling at 150 mph?

Edited by desmognathus

Any further word on this? I'm looking at the same 3 for my iPhone. Emprum does seem to have the best customer support of the bunch, but I haven't seen many folks using them for caching. Do we really need the 5 k update or is this more important for lap timers traveling at 150 mph?

I've been using the Dual 150A for a couple months for caching and I love it. I've had no problem getting to the GZ with it. I also like that it comes with an armband that you can wrap it around your bisep and just let teh bluetooth do it's work. It gets excellent reception in the car as well.

The only thing I would mention is that you might want to only run 1 mapping app at a time. I was tuning motionXGPS and GeoBucket at the same time and the two were confusing each other.

Other than that I love it. Highly recommend.