eTrex x0 water resistance

tr_s

The old eTrexes were water resistant even under the battery lid.

Looking at my 30 it seems the PCB is exposed via the card slot.

Anyone know if this machine is likely to fail if water seeps under the battery lid or have they sealed around the slot?

It's rated at IPX7

Immersion up to 1 m

Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). Test duration: 30 minutes

If I worried about leaks (which I don't), I'd wonder about the rubber plug over the USB port rather than the battery compartment gasket. The plug is just a press-fit while the battery compartment has a rigid bayonet latch.

This design is similar to earlier eTrex models. Also, I think many of the earlier "x" models that took data cards also had exposed contacts for the card slot, under the battery lid.

So does it leak? I've heard of folks having problems getting the little rubber thingie on, I haven't seen any "I drowned my HCx!" complaints - have you?

So does it leak? I've heard of folks having problems getting the little rubber thingie on, I haven't seen any "I drowned my HCx!" complaints - have you?

Never heard of that no, but it is very important to know, because if the battery compartment isn't WR then it is of utter importance to check for cleanliness at the rubber ring and lube it with silicone fat after a couple of years.

...if the battery compartment isn't WR then it is of utter importance to check for cleanliness at the rubber ring and lube it with silicone fat after a couple of years

A reasonable precaution on every bit of gear ever intended for outdoor use, for hundreds of years - batten down the hatches!

I recall reading some forum posts about a different Garmin (Colorado, don't know if it was the whole series or just one model in that line) where the gasket & latch on the battery door wasn't sufficiently water-resistant. But that's the all I can dredge up on my first cup of coffee this morning and without tapping to the search engines for help.

Edited by user13371

A reasonable precaution on every bit of gear ever intended for outdoor use, for hundreds of years - batten down the hatches!

Probably, however the old eTrex machines without memory card slots (yellow, legend, venture, vista, H, etc...) are water resistant without any battery cover on. The serial port is also designed so it won't take in any water regardless of rubber or not.

TR_S, I think you're setting yourself up for a self fulfilling prophecy. Your best option would be to test it to destruction (kayak/bathtub/shower/dishawasher/etc), then send it back for warranty repair. When you get the replacement, eBay it and go buy a GPS you'll like or trust better. For rugged and waterproof, I recommend a DeLorme PN-60.

Did you need one of them :) things to know I'm kidding?

Seriously though, it does seem like you've had more problems with your etrex 30 than most users. Does this have you primed to look for or invent new problems that haven't happened yet? Maybe you really would be better off with a different model.

Edited by user13371

Nope, I am not actively searching for problems or "tinkering" with the device. The bugs I've been bringing up on this forum are just things that have buggered me while being out and about with the machine.

And yeah the thought of "eBaying" the machine has occured more than once. On the other hand it takes time to learn a new GPS and I've spent quite some time with this one now, actually at 2.73 it's a pretty ok device with the exception of goto forgetting (but i noticed it can easily be worked around by hitting "recent finds" so no big deal).

I think a question about what the water resistance implies is fully normal and it does not mean I am intentionally going to dump it into a lake.

By the way, the Delorme PN60 looks cool! Never heard of the brand, will have a look if on the hunt for a new GPS sometime later.

Same rating was given to the Magellan Explorist-GC (and I imagine the x10 series too.) Except... once the cover over the USB socket breaks, You're wide-open for a soaking.. There's a BIG difference between Water Resistant (will shed water like a duck), and Water-Proof to xxxft. (sealed so water will not leak into the case, and damage the contents.)

...once the cover over the USB socket breaks, You're wide-open for a soaking...

Do you mean on the Magellan GC or eTrex 10/20/30 specifically, or any GPS at all that has an external port covered with a rubber plug?

If the socket is sealed properly INSIDE, it isn't going to let water in -- the plug is mainly to keep water, dust, debris out of the socket itself. Even without the plug, I expect a well made device would still meet the IPX7 standard of keeping water out for half an hour submerged in a meter of water. BUT - not all devices are equally well made, even if the maker claims IPX7 in their advertising. That's why I raise an eyebrow at gelfling6's broader assertion.

I'm very tempted to give my own eTrex 20 a long soak just to see how it fares. Bought it from one of those stores* that offers a 100% lifetime satisfaction guaranteed for return or replacement, no questions asked, so I'd have nothing to lose. Not sure if I'll have time to do it today or even this weekend, but maybe early next week if nobody else tries it and posts their results here.

---

* Yeah, you know which one I mean. But I won't mention it by name because whenever I do, someone says I'm shilling for them.

Now that I think of it, I do have time to do at least this simple test today:

Turned the GPS turned on (demo mode), dropped it in a cup of water on my desk, will check in a few hours. Battery compartment tight, but I purposely left the rubber thingie over the USB port unseated. Will check back before I leave the office today.

This isn't be as severe a test as submerging for half an hour in a meter of water -- but it'll be more of a soaking than most folks would give it on a rainy day or a drop it in a puddle.

Pictures to be attached shortly.

Turned the GPS turned on (demo mode), dropped it in a cup of water on my desk, will check in a few hours. Battery compartment tight, but I purposely left the rubber thingie over the USB port unseated. Will check back before I leave the office today.

This isn't be as severe a test as submerging for half an hour in a meter of water -- but it'll be more of a soaking than most folks would give it on a rainy day or a drop it in a puddle.

Haha, good one. I think it will survive. It would be real trashy if that USB port isn't sealed.

I just couldn't do it... Electronics are my good friends.

Sorry Chef, don't look. Everyone else...

Dry and ready for testing.

Dry.jpg

Port left intentionally open.

open.jpg

Ready to take a dunk - actually, I'd already dipped it once to make sure the glass had enough water in it, that accounts for the drops you see on the GPS and my desk.

ready.jpg

Glub Glub Glub Glub

dunked.jpg

Check back in a few hours for preliminary results.

---

edit to add - hey, what happend to my pictures? they've all gone sideways?

Edited by user13371

A few hours into the test, I looked over and noticed the screen was blank.

Uh-oh?

Nope - just dead batteries. I knew they weren't quite fresh when I started, so this is as good a time as any to stop the water test and open the thing up to see:

Water droplets in the USB port. Water droplets under the battery cover, but only OUTSIDE the surround of the gasket - inside of battery compartment was completely dry. The only spot that made me go "hmmm" was the water that collected in the little hollow where the bayonet latch goes into the case. A bit of paper napkin twisted tightly enough to thread into the hole came out damp, and moved around enough to make me wonder how much space there under there to collect moisture.

But the real test: New batteries, power on, display works. All the buttons work. USB connection works.

Will let you know tomorrow if there's any condesnation/misting under the screen or other ill-effects. Even in the absence of symptoms, I'll probably leave it in a bag of rice for a day or two just to be on the safe side.

---

Edit to add pictures...

Recovery from the dunk.

recovery.jpg

Exam 1: Inside before removing batteries.

exam1.jpg

Exam 2: After removing batteries. The inside of the battery compartment really is dry, the shiny bits are just reflections from metal and smooth plastic.

exam2.jpg

Edited by user13371

Yes, I know - and said this in post #13:

This isn't be as severe a test as submerging for half an hour in a metre of water -- but it'll be more of a soaking than most folks would give it on a rainy day or a drop in a puddle.

Though unlikely, if I get opportunity to test in deeper water I'll let you know. Or as I said in post #12, maybe someone will beat me to it.

Edited by user13371

Yeah, that iPhone 4 camera does a nice job, don't it? It's not supposed to be rugged or waterproof, but it's been out in the rain and dropped a few times too.

Several consumer magazines have concluded that smartphones are in general fairly waterproof, both iPhones and Androids can take quick dunks into water. But don't count on it...

And today's follow-up: Still works. No condensation under the screen or any other malfunctions noticed. A piece of paper threaded into the bayonet opening came out dry.

TR_S, do you need someone to sink one into a rain barrel for a real IPX7 test? Or does this test satisfy your curiosity/concerns?

TR_S, do you need someone to sink one into a rain barrel for a real IPX7 test? Or does this test satisfy your curiosity/concerns?

Haha nope, this is more than satisfying, actually good resistance against heavy rain is more than enough in my book.

And today's follow-up: Still works. No condensation under the screen or any other malfunctions noticed. A piece of paper threaded into the bayonet opening came out dry.

Oh good!! Didn't sleep well last night. :-)