New Endura Out&Back User

Hi there,

We are new to Geocaching (former letterboxers) and I just bought my first GPS device, a Lowrance Endura Out&Back, from Best Buy. I have no experience at all with any other GPS.

I've had some problems while Geocaching with accuracy in feet to cache. The GPS will get us to the general location but seems to be all over the place when it comes to getting us right to the cache. With one cache we found the GPS said we were still 40 feet away. The cache was in its correct location, not misplaced.

Also my GPS came with the 1.4 version, when I went to upgrade to 1.5 I used a usb cable and put in a brand new SD card in the GPS to use the GPS as the card reader. I followed the directions to remove the usb cable and the SD card, then reboot the GPS and put the SD card back in, at this point the GPS is suppose to instruct you on how to complete the installation.....but I got nothing. The upgrade shows up in the GPS when I have it hooked up to the laptop with the usb cable but it is not installed because it still shows as having version 1.4.

Any information on these 2 issues? I would really appreciate the help....thank you!!!

You might try putting the SD card in ... then turn it on and see if it reads and loads in. Once you get the 1.5 firmware running it should take care of getting you closer to the cache. But be aware some units will still have problems with the feet or pointer. I've had 2 units both with the current 1.5 firmware and both units still have the problem.

You might try putting the SD card in ... then turn it on and see if it reads and loads in. Once you get the 1.5 firmware running it should take care of getting you closer to the cache. But be aware some units will still have problems with the feet or pointer. I've had 2 units both with the current 1.5 firmware and both units still have the problem.

Hi there, thank you for writing. Yes, I did try putting the SD card back in then reboot the GPS, but got nothing.

Edited by karen813

I recently purchased and returned one of these after finding out my iPhone 4S was just as good.

You should try posting in this topic

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=279044

There is someone watching this thread that has great experience and close ties to endura support, they would help you get started. Also apparently by purchasing your Out&Back you are entitled to a free 30 day premium membership just post and let them know I directed you there. B)

Also how much did you pay at best buy mine was $80 because it was on Clarence...if you did not get it for that price you should check or call other local best buys. Also if you buy there insurance you can brake your device before its up and upgrade to a new device plus it protects it if you brake it out on the trails (think about it, it's worth it)

Edited by taboo8614

I recently purchased and returned one of these after finding out my iPhone 4S was just as good.

You should try posting in this topic

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=279044

There is someone watching this thread that has great experience and close ties to endura support, they would help you get started. Also apparently by purchasing your Out&Back you are entitled to a free 30 day premium membership just post and let them know I directed you there. B)

Also how much did you pay at best buy mine was $80 because it was on Clarence...if you did not get it for that price you should check or call other local best buys. Also if you buy there insurance you can brake your device before its up and upgrade to a new device plus it protects it if you brake it out on the trails (think about it, it's worth it)

Hi there and thank you for writing! What would the 30 day premium membership be for? Ok, I will try posting to that link you provided. Yes, I also paid $80 at Best Buy.....we've been wanting to get into Geocaching for a long time but a $200+ GPS just wasn't in the budget.....but when I saw this one at Best Buy I got so excited because it was affordable and I could justify spending $80!! Unfortunately I didn't get the insurance since I was trying to keep the cost as low as possible.