Log a geocoin after it got picked up

Jes_Ed_Saar

I know this sounds bad, but:

A friend of mine placed a new cache with a geocoin in it. Being all new to this he forgot to log the coin in the cache.

However, the coin got picked up by somebody else and dropped in a different cache. That person reminded my friend that he still need to log the coin in the original cache to get the extra miles.

However, because the coin is no longer in my friends inventory he doesn't seem to be able to log the coin into the cache anymore. Not on the cache page and not on the coin's page.

Is there any way he can still do this?

Many thanks,

Ed

If he has the tracking number, he can pick it up from the "new" location, dip it in the cache where he forgot to drop it and drop it back to the cache where it really is...

If it's his coin, he can then delete the preceeding logs so the mileage will be correct...

Or just send a message to owner, describe the "issue" and see what the owner will do :)

Or just leave it as is :)

Those "missing" miles won't hurt anyone - and next time he'll know.

Thank you very much for your reply Ceico a Martinka.

It sounds like a solution. A bit messy, but it might just do the trick.

My friend is the owner of the coin, so he should still have the tracking number.

And it is true, he did learn his lesson and will log his coins the next time..

[Edit]

I just noticed on my own trackable pages that the tracking number can be found on the trackables page in the right column.

Edited by Jes_Ed_Saar

That person reminded my friend that he still need to log the coin in the original cache to get the extra miles.

When I see something like this (a trackable in a cache but not listed there), I always grab it and "visit" it in that cache to correctly log its travels. I'm surprised that person didn't do the same. Now that they have logged it into another cache, it's going to be very messy getting its history correct.

...if you log it on the date in the past when you initially place the coin in the cache it should be alright, shouldn't it?

That part would be fine, but then it needs to get back into the cache it's currently in. If your friend "grabs" it from that cache to dip it in the original cache, it then needs to be dropped back in the current cache. That would mean it would be "dropped" in the current cache twice, since the other cacher already has. Now that the other cacher has dropped it in another cache, I can't think of any tidy way of sorting it out. It might be best to just forget it and ignore its visit to the initial cache. Treat is as a lesson learned.