Android/Smartphone power source?

Hi folks,

I am new to Geocaching and also new to using an Android phone. I have used my Sony Ericsson Live WT19i, running CacheSence, to find a couple of caches and it works great. But, as with all Smartphones, the battery life is rubbish. I was wondering what other cachers, using Smartphones, do to resolve this problem. Do you use spare batteries? Do you use external battery/power sourse? Have you tried high charge batteries? What do you use, what would you advise to extend the running time of an Android phone? It will be interesting to see your ideas.

Many thanks,

Ray

A combination of things can be helpful

If your app uses stored maps, and cache data, then turn off all wireless, airplane mode is an easy way to do this

Using a bluetooth GPS unit (about £10) saves a big chunk 'o power

Spare batteries, with a socket charger are cheap enough on ebay, I always carried 2 spares for my HTC, never used more than one.

Then....buy a handheld GPS, you'll not worry about dropping it in a stream 'cos it'll be waterproof. You'll be able to cache in rainstorms, and your battery should last around 24 hours, with a pair of AA in your pocket that's a whole weekend caching without sleep! :)

I bought a Kensington ultra portable battery pack to give some extra life to the phone when needed... It worked great, But found Its just one more thing to have ready in advance (yuck).

Now I just try to use my phone as little as possible when out caching..Use a real gps to navigate, and use a car charger to keep it topped up.

A combination of things can be helpful

If your app uses stored maps, and cache data, then turn off all wireless, airplane mode is an easy way to do this

Using a bluetooth GPS unit (about £10) saves a big chunk 'o power

Spare batteries, with a socket charger are cheap enough on ebay, I always carried 2 spares for my HTC, never used more than one.

Then....buy a handheld GPS, you'll not worry about dropping it in a stream 'cos it'll be waterproof. You'll be able to cache in rainstorms, and your battery should last around 24 hours, with a pair of AA in your pocket that's a whole weekend caching without sleep! :)

Hello

I am new in this "game".

This using of an bluetooth GPS unit for £10 ?? What mark shall I bye on ex. Ebay ?

I have a LG P990 where the gps don't really function :(

Aksel

Hi folks,

I am new to Geocaching and also new to using an Android phone. I have used my Sony Ericsson Live WT19i, running CacheSence, to find a couple of caches and it works great. But, as with all Smartphones, the battery life is rubbish. I was wondering what other cachers, using Smartphones, do to resolve this problem. Do you use spare batteries? Do you use external battery/power sourse? Have you tried high charge batteries? What do you use, what would you advise to extend the running time of an Android phone? It will be interesting to see your ideas.

Many thanks,

Ray

Hi, I have an extended life battery for my LG Ally (Android) phone. I have no problems with lack of memory at all. The battery is, of course, larger than the oem battery, but they come with a cover door that works with the larger battery.The oem battery was horrible and I switched almost immediately after buying the phone 2 years ago. You can find the extended life batteries on Amazon. By the way, my ALLY works great for geocaching. It is amazingly accurate when using the radar method with the software. No complaints.