Magellan eXplorist 110

I picked up a Magellan eXplorist 110 a couple of weeks ago as a tag along to my other GPSrs and this is a neat little unit. Being priced at $129 it is a rival to the Garmin eTrex 10. However, the eX110 has a vibrant color screen, which the eTrex 10 doesn’t. The eX110 also comes with a worldwide base map, supports 500 waypoints, 25 routes, 10 tracks and 500 Geocaches. The unit also displays the vertical profile of a track, hunt & fish calendar and sun & moon information. Plus the unit also performs area calculations if needed. The unit also supports full paperless caching.

This little unit is a great starter unit or an awesome add on to the GPS collection to keep the higher end units out of the hands of the kiddos… It is also a great little unit for hiking or biking…

Just thought I would put this out here in case anyone is little for a lower end unit at a great price...

SoCal Zukicacher…

OK. So I agree with all you have said. I LOVE this GPS except when it comes down to finding GZ. I have problems with it not updating for 50 STEPS (yes, 50-150 feet) when approaching the cache site!!!!

I also have an Explorist 500, which doesn't download the paperless data or sync so easy with the website... but updates STEP BY STEP when getting to GZ. Are you having this issue or is is possibly my unit?? I have talked to tech support and they helped me tweak some settings... the manual tells you how to adjust each setting, and what the choices are, but they do not explain the difference between the tracking choices for example AUTO (COURSE) vs. AUTO (CONTINUOUS) is not explained... so I had it set wrong. The change did help some but it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the sensitivity on the 500. Thoughts or comments?

OK. So I agree with all you have said. I LOVE this GPS except when it comes down to finding GZ. I have problems with it not updating for 50 STEPS (yes, 50-150 feet) when approaching the cache site!!!!

I also have an Explorist 500, which doesn't download the paperless data or sync so easy with the website... but updates STEP BY STEP when getting to GZ. Are you having this issue or is is possibly my unit?? I have talked to tech support and they helped me tweak some settings... the manual tells you how to adjust each setting, and what the choices are, but they do not explain the difference between the tracking choices for example AUTO (COURSE) vs. AUTO (CONTINUOUS) is not explained... so I had it set wrong. The change did help some but it is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the sensitivity on the 500. Thoughts or comments?

I have not noticed the issue you describe. Is this in different conditions, such as open, or under tree cover?

For tracking, Auto continuous works well. If you are stopping often, try the distance setting at 50 feet.

In your other post, you mention switching between the dashboard and geocache info. Try using the compass activated on the map screen to point you to the cache. When you have set a "goto" a cache, and are on the map screen, just push the Menu button, and you can choose the cache details or mark it found, etc.