Filtering Found Caches with EasyGPS or GSAK

Hello there,

Here is what I would like to do - For the most part, I'm not using PQ's as they aren't very useful for me. I work in field service, so right now, I'm sending caches to the GPSr individually based on where my job sites are for the next week or so. When I find a cache I mark it found on the unit. At the end of the day, I'd like to connect to my GPSr and download the caches that are on it and then filter them by Found v Not Found. Sometimes I may go a day or two before I get back home, and I don't want to forget to log any of my finds.

With EasyGPS it is very easy to get the files from the GPSr, however when I filter for found, I come up with a blank list.

With GSAK, I can't find an easy way to download all the caches from the GPSr at once.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Get version eight of GSAK and use there API function. It will read the geo_visits file and you can post from their.

So I think I'm missing something. I figured out how to get caches from GC.com, but not from the GPSr itself.

Thanks for the crazy quick response! what a pleasure to have such an active and friendly forum community!

So I tried again, no luck, anyone out that can tell me how to pull caches right off the GPS with GSAK?

To update your GSAK database with your finds do this:

Connect your GPSr to the computer & open GSAK.

At the top, select GPS/Receive Waypoints -- The default is to just update finds. GSAK will then take all the caches you have marked found on your unit and mark them found in the GSAK database. You can filter to show those by double clicking on the yellow 'found' tab of the counts section on the bottom right of the screen.

To just grab the caches on your GPSr that you marked as found so you can log them, do this:

After connecting your GPSr to the computer and opening GSAK, if you wish to log directly, select Geocaching.com Access/Publish logs -- then right click in the middle, select Fetch/From GPSr and this will grab all the caches you have marked as found and put them in order for you. Then just double click on the first cache listing and the logging template pops up...

Edited by Triple Crown

To just grab the caches on your GPSr that you marked as found so you can log them, do this:

After connecting your GPSr to the computer and opening GSAK, if you wish to log directly, select Geocaching.com Access/Publish logs -- then right click in the middle, select Fetch/From GPSr and this will grab all the caches you have marked as found and put them in order for you. Then just double click on the first cache listing and the logging template pops up...

Perfect! This is great. So I'll have to try logging from GSAK and see how that goes. From poking around on in the program it looks like there is a way to delete the cache from the GPSr while publishing, is that the case? Without deleting found caches from the unit, eventually it will get full.

Thanks again for the help!

Perfect! This is great. So I'll have to try logging from GSAK and see how that goes. From poking around on in the program it looks like there is a way to delete the cache from the GPSr while publishing, is that the case? Without deleting found caches from the unit, eventually it will get full.

Thanks again for the help!

I don't think you can do that automatically. The 'delete after fetching' option only deletes your field note, not the original cache GPX file. You can store up to 200 GPX files before the unit is full. Since you're exporting individual caches, you'll need to individually delete the ones you find from your Garmin/GPX folder while you're connected to a computer.

Using the GSAK database functions, you could send each of those individual caches to a single database, then send them all to the unit as a single GPX file. The advantage is that you can store up to 5000 caches on an Oregon 450 as long as you have less than 200 total GPX files. Also, once you mark caches found, you can easily filter them out of your database and resend the updated single GPX file (containing only unfound caches) to your GPSr.

The GSAK help forums are a great way to learn other tricks, and the users are really friendly & helpful...definitely worth checking out. You can get there from the help menu at the top right of the GSAK window.

I don't think you can do that automatically. The 'delete after fetching' option only deletes your field note, not the original cache GPX file. You can store up to 200 GPX files before the unit is full. Since you're exporting individual caches, you'll need to individually delete the ones you find from your Garmin/GPX folder while you're connected to a computer.

Using the GSAK database functions, you could send each of those individual caches to a single database, then send them all to the unit as a single GPX file. The advantage is that you can store up to 5000 caches on an Oregon 450 as long as you have less than 200 total GPX files. Also, once you mark caches found, you can easily filter them out of your database and resend the updated single GPX file (containing only unfound caches) to your GPSr.

The GSAK help forums are a great way to learn other tricks, and the users are really friendly & helpful...definitely worth checking out. You can get there from the help menu at the top right of the GSAK window.

I see, thank you very much!

Having GSAK problems so(GSAK can't find my GPSr even though it could this morning) I will have to check out the help forum.

I see, thank you very much!

Having GSAK problems so(GSAK can't find my GPSr even though it could this morning) I will have to check out the help forum.

I found a video showing this