Any GPS Device That Does Both Directions and Caching?

unity007

Ok so my Mio Moov 200 broke today. I was using that for both car directions and to geocache (with 3rd party software I installed). I will need to get a new gps, however due to my current situation, I can't spend more than around $150ish on a gps.

Are there any gps devices on the market now that will give me directions for driving and allow me to geocache? I was looking at something like the Garmin Nuvi 1250, but not sure if that would work.

I wondered: I just got the eTrex 20, and it has BaseCamp, and I got a topo for Mass. that seems like it will meet my needs....but I also have MapSource/City Navigator for car/motorcycle GPS.

Would the eTrex 20 have enough memory available for me to load some City Navigator maps on there? It would be nice to enter waypoints, drive to a trailhead, and go caching.....all with the eTrex?

I wondered: I just got the eTrex 20, and it has BaseCamp, and I got a topo for Mass. that seems like it will meet my needs....but I also have MapSource/City Navigator for car/motorcycle GPS.

Would the eTrex 20 have enough memory available for me to load some City Navigator maps on there? It would be nice to enter waypoints, drive to a trailhead, and go caching.....all with the eTrex?

1.7 gig internal ... And a micro sd card slot. So, yes.

Etrex 20

Ok, I'll definitely look into the Etrex 20. Are there any free maps one can use with it or does one have to by CityNavigator? Also, I guess caching would be secondary, as I probably drive much more than I geocache, so I'd lean towards one that does more of the driving side than caching, but if this is the only one that does both, works for me.

Android phone and a couple of apps

Unfortunately I definitely cannot afford a data plan or and Android phone at this time. However, in the future, are the Androids accurate enough to let you cache?

Edited by unity007

Are you wanting driving directions that show up on the screen or do you want the GPSr to talk to you?

There are many hand held units that are great for geocaching and offer on screen driving directions but won't talk to you. The Gamin Nuvi have talking directions but most don't do geocaching very well since they lack a compass screen to point in the direction of the cache and tell you how far you are from it.

Ok, I'll definitely look into the Etrex 20. Are there any free maps one can use with it or does one have to by CityNavigator? Also, I guess caching would be secondary, as I probably drive much more than I geocache, so I'd lean towards one that does more of the driving side than caching, but if this is the only one that does both, works for me.

garmin.openstreetmap.nl are free and routable. CityNav is more reliable in US.

Lots of free US topos at GPSfileDepot.

NUVI 500/550 provides spoken turn by turn directions and also caches. Specs don't mention a compass.

IMO, an Etrex is too small to use for street navigation unless you have a copilot translating for you.

Edited by seldom_sn

"Pick the right tool for the job" guidance is to buy two devices.

For geocaching and many other outdoor uses I want pocketable, long battery run-time, weatherproof, rugged, accurate to within a couple of metres. For car nav I want big screen, touch and/or voice controls, turn-by-turn spoken directions, accurate to within a city block, maybe an FM or cellular data feed of traffic conditions and alerts.

Two different jobs, two different units. At the moment for me that's an eTrex 20 for the outdoors and an iPhone for everything else.

For geocaching and many other outdoor uses I want pocketable, long battery run-time, weatherproof, rugged, accurate to within a couple of metres. For car nav I want big screen, touch and/or voice controls, turn-by-turn spoken directions, accurate to within a city block, maybe an FM or cellular data feed of traffic conditions and alerts.

Two different jobs, two different units. At the moment for me that's an eTrex 20 for the outdoors and an iPhone for everything else.

Your not gonna get a etrex 20 and an iPhone for $150... But he is right. Maybe find 2 used devices ? An old etrex (clearance? Refurbished? Used?)... And an older car nav device? Bet you could stay under $150 if you hunted a bit. (My brother just picked up a bunch of older nuvi devices for his employees to use for under $60 each. Maps were a bit out of date, but for that price "who cares")

IMO, an Etrex is too small to use for street navigation unless you have a copilot translating for you.

I normally use my nuvi when driving, but I have used my Etrex 20. It's actually OK despite the small screen, but then I've got 20/20 vision :)

Does a good job for what it is! I plan to replace the old B/W street pilot on my scooter this summer with the etrex 20. The streetpilot deserves to retire... It has served me well!

Unfortunately I definitely cannot afford a data plan or and Android phone at this time. However, in the future, are the Androids accurate enough to let you cache?

I have a prepaid plan from Virgin Mobile. Basic plan...$35/month for 300 talk minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data. The phone is an Optimus android. Have had zero issues with this phone. Using it with any GPS related app has been impressive. It gets a faster position fix from a cold start than any handheld GPS I own (that includes my Garmin 60csx). Not quite as accurate as the GPS after warm up, but not bad. Only used it with geocaching apps a few times, but I was impressed. Only drag is getting out of cell coverage because you loose map coverage. I've heard this can be remedied with SD card map/cache info storage, but I've not figured that out yet.

BTW, was only suggesting "Androida and some apps" in the case that you already possessed a smart phone.

Your not gonna get a etrex 20 and an iPhone for $150...

You're correct, I skimmed and missed the OP's very tight budget constraint. My personal hardware choice wouldn't fit in that box.

But not much would. Better to pick ONE thing that's important, buy it now -- and save up for the other one later.

Your not gonna get a etrex 20 and an iPhone for $150... But he is right. Maybe find 2 used devices ? An old etrex (clearance? Refurbished? Used?)... And an older car nav device? Bet you could stay under $150 if you hunted a bit. (My brother just picked up a bunch of older nuvi devices for his employees to use for under $60 each. Maps were a bit out of date, but for that price "who cares")

You can get two for under $150. I'm waiting now for a back-up Nuvi 780 ( already have a couple )that I bought on Ebay, mint condition for $70. That leaves $80 for a handheld off Ebay ( I vote for a Magellan Meridian Platinum )

That combo is something I still use even for geocaching although more and more I'm using the 62S as a handheld.