coin drop

4Hamricks

Question: How do you and is it acceptable to do a coin drop. I want to log miles on one of the coins I carry with me caching, without leaving it in a cache. I have seen post from people in the past that said "coin drop", whats up and can this be done?

Well, coin drop usually means they are dropping a coin in the cache but they had already logged that cache as a find so they had to write a note to drop the coin inside.

You can rack miles up on a coin or tb by doing a visit by the traveler when you log your find to the cache. At the bottom of the page where you are logging your find of that cache is a list of the trackables that are in your possession. Next to each one is a drop down menu, click on that and choose visit and that will log that trackable as visiting that cache. On the trackables page it will be listed as So and So took it to such and such cache. hope this helps.

There are a few geocaches near where I live that are good for me to drop coins and TBs into - large enough, safe enough, plenty of traffic so the coin will move again, etc. I go back to these caches again and again to put in coins/TBs that I've picked up on caching trips. Since I've already logged a find on these caches, I use the "write note" log instead of another "found" log (if it's a cache I've never found before, then it's easy to drop the trackable along with the "found" log, but not so on a cache I've already found) and I say "coin drop" for the text (I usually go back and delete the "coin drop" log afterwards so as not to clutter up the cache page).

As baack40 said, the "visit" thing works good when you're logging new caches that you've found and you want to "dip" your coin/TB in for mileage. But if you've already logged a find on any of the caches where you want to dip the coin/TB, go ahead and use the "write note" and say "coin drop" (or "coin dip"). Then on the trackable page go ahead and "grab" the coin/TB from that cache again.