Save GPS from LightSquared - have your say.

In another twist to the long-sunning saga of LightSquared trying to get FCC approval to launch its LTE mobile broadband network, LightSquared has petitioned the FCC to remove statutory protection to GPS receivers from interference caused by LightSquared's activities.

In the words of the formal document: "LightSquared requests specific declarations designed to establish that commercial GPS devices are not entitled to interference protection from LightSquared’s operations, so long as LightSquared operates within the technical parameters prescribed by rule and Commission Order.2 Pursuant to Rule 1.2( b )..."

You can read the full text HERE - you have to expand the page to see the whole thing.

In plain English, this means that LightSquared would have the go ahead to screw up GPS reception, and there wouldn't be a thing we could do about it.

I don't think that's right. Do you?

Fortunately, the FCC are asking for public comments on LightSquared's petition. This is your chance to tell the FCC (politely) what you think of LightSquared's proposals. Finding the page to make your submission isn't exactly easy, so I've posted a link to it here. Submit Filing The Proceeding Number (at the top of the form) is 11-109 and also 10-142. I don't know for sure, but I'd suggest making a separate submission of comments for each proceeding number, as they seem to relate to slightly different aspects of the issue.

This is the public's chance to have our say. I suggest we make good use of it.

Edited by RamblinBear

This page has a lot more information in "plainer English".

http://www.pnt.gov/interference/lightsquared/

Indeed it does, and thanks for that, because it provides a clear resume of why and how this matters so much. However, it doesn't cover the latest developments concerning LightSquarred's petition and the opportunity for public comment.

There's more plain English about it here:

GPS World's article on FCC consultation

This latest development is chance for us to make our voices to be heard.

Closing date for comments is 27th February.

Edited by RamblinBear

Honestly, this seems like the kind of thing where if the facts are as clear as they appear at first sight then it won't get approved unless there are some large incentives along the way. If there are large incentives then it will get approved regardless of what the little people think of it.

It might make more sense to get large corporations on the case, because if someone's cellphone can blow a GPS reception clean out of the water I can see the market for companies like Garmin disappearing very quickly. Who wants a GPS to navigate, if it can't navigate? And a company like Garmin probably has better access to the people who will make the decision than a million of us writing letters starting "I would like to object", especially since anyone not wanting to take us seriously could regard our letters as saying nothing more than "don't let X have their toy because it will spoil my toy".

Garmin, Trimble, John Deere, the FAA, and a whole host of other interested parties are already involved. However, this is the first occasion that the FCC have openly put this thing out for public comment.

It is as important that plenty of ordinary people let them know how useful (and fun) GPS is in their lives. Believe me when I say there are plenty of comments on there already from people who don't give a fig for GPS saying how they want fast broadband on their phones to be able to stream the latest music videos (or whatever) when they're out in the sticks.

Doing nothing because one doesn't believe it'll make any difference? - that sounds like a self-fulfilling prophesy to me.

I think that the more LS squirms on this topic the better. Each wiggle makes it more easy for the FCC to reject the project on the test series and other practical examinations. They have done their part and given LS the chance to prove their point and they have not convinced anyone. So for U.S. Citizens to voice their individual opinions should be a good thing. Not sure they really want to hear from other countries, except at higher levels. I'm sure that the ITU will at some point seek to protect the satellite band if this project threatens to slop over outside U.S. borders. As I've pointed out before in the other thread, IF LS fails to be able to use it's primary licence, then they lose the access to the band at all. Same goes for a satellite failure, and it doesn't look like they could replace it... but I'm not sure if they just have transponder space on someone else's bird, or own it outright.

Anyway that is for the other thread. There is no problem letting them have due process under U.S. rules, they are entitled to that, but at some point they will run out of options. I haven't seen if Sprint has actually departed yet, did the 30 days expire?

Doug 7rxc

I haven't seen if Sprint has actually departed yet, did the 30 days expire?

Doug 7rxc

Sprint have given LS another 6 weeks - until mid-March.

Thanks... I knew about the 30 days, guess the latest venture got them some more time.

Wish my 'banker' was so helpful and understanding.

Doug 7rxc