hints and tips needed please with iphone etc.

westisbest36

We're very new to geocaching and are yet to develop a sixth sense to locations of caches...we quite often look to descriptions and see nice easy find etc and never end up finding it at all!! We are a family of cachers, 2.4 kids and dog always in tow!! and have so far loved it but I need to figure out an easier way of finding caches.

As we are on a very tight budget this was supposed to be a cheapy day out for us all but I am really struggling with the iphone we use to try and locate caches. Its a work phone which I have downloaded geocache app. But....when I want to send bits and pieces from computer straight to iphone it wont work and just directs me to buy app...and worst still I always seem to run out of signal and have no idea where the cache is!!...please help me, I dont wish to go and buy a garmin, I cant afford one...is there any hints and tips or other apps i could download to increase our chances of not having disappointed children! thanks.x

Westisbest36

Not sure if you want to hear this answer, but I am not aware of a being able to download information on the Iphone App. I also use the Iphone app, but always have a GPS in my pocket just in case. For not being able to purchase a GPS check your local library! I know a few libraries around this area will actually check them out! My son used to belong to a Geocaching Venture Group and they would always go to the library and check a couple out before their adventures. Also Before we had the app, and a nice GPS that had all the information we used to have a notebook we would write everything down in. It would takes us a few days prep before our adventure but it is always handy to have that information when you get to GZ(ground zero)! Also check out Craig's List or E-bay you never know when you will get lucky on getting a cheap GPS. A friend of mine that we introduced Geocaching to was able to pick up an older model for 45.00. It did not have all the cool Geo tracking features but it gave him a good coordinates lock.

Sorry I don't have better news!

First, you don't say whether you are using the free app or the paid app. If you are using the free app, then yes, you are going to find it a frustrating experience at times. The free introductory app only shows you the 3 nearest caches and gives you very little info to work with.

If there's any way you can afford it, spend the $10 for the paid app. It really is the only tool you need, if you can't afford a dedicated GPS right now. It's a really robust app and makes Geocaching really easy (easy as in having everything you need in the palm of your hand...you'll still need to find the caches yourself :) )

The main downside is battery life...any active navigation app is going to suck down the batteries pretty quickly.

If you have iPhone 4 or 4S with the official app, you don't need a computer or another GPS-device. All cache information you can download straight from the web. The app has 3 searching options; nearby caches, search by GC-code and advanced search. Every cache also has an option to search nearby caches of the selected cache. Just save your searches and you can use your iPhone without phone coverage or data connection. You will have to get the official app. Older models than iPhone 4 are not very accurate.

I also have an eTrex 20 but if I am going just for few caches (and it is not raining), I don't even turn it on. The accuracy of iPhone 4 (or 4S) is good enough.

Thanks people. I did try with the free apps to start off with which were extremely frustrating so have purchased the official app...I didnt realise I could save things...we shall give that a go today and hopefully that will help solve some of our problems with signal etc. It is an older iphone 3 so maybe thats not helping too.

Will definetly have to make the best of a bit of a bad job really...most of the time my phone struggles to find me let alone anything else!!....and i suppose the best thing is we are still finding amazing places we have never been too before.

Thanks for all your help.x