asked about handheld GPSrs...maybe should be looking at car ones instead?

I had posted earlier about my search for a new GPSr, and received many helpful replies. Looks like the Etrex 20 would be my best bet if I were to get a new unit that would do double-duty for driving and for on-foot. However, I wonder if maybe I should be looking at car units instead and just hanging onto my current Etrex H. The H does just fine once I'm out of the car and walking around. Lack of access to street maps while driving is my major issue.

I noticed in another thread that someone else was asking about a GPSr that would work for both driving and hiking. While some people did have some recommendations, many replies said that the best thing to do was to have two different GPSrs, one for the car and the other handheld.

I've been looking at the Garmin Nuvi series, but I'm not sure what would do the job best. I would need to be able to do paperless caching with it. (Does paperless caching also mean that the GPSr would show all the descriptions, hints, etc., too? Or just the name and coords?)

It would also be fun to just be running errands or something and go "Hey, my GPS says there's a cache a half-mile up the road. Think I'll go look for it real quick." Can these units do such a thing?

Also, how loud can the car units go? My hearing is excellent, but my vehicle is extremely noisy. Having something that would shout "TURN RIGHT!!!" above all the din would be helpful. However, this isn't totally necessary.

It looks like there are a lot of units out there that would probably work for me, and I can afford a mid-to-upper-level unit. However, I want to avoid getting a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need; the simpler things are to operate, the happier I am.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/comments. --Spark :)

Edited by Deuce & Spark
I noticed in another thread that someone else was asking about a GPSr that would work for both driving and hiking. While some people did have some recommendations, many replies said that the best thing to do was to have two different GPSrs, one for the car and the other handheld.

I agree with that. The different units have better 'specialized' capabilities. For instance, I can navigate 'on road' with my Dakota 20 but it doesn't handle traffic, recognize major routes the same, have voice alerts for upcoming turns, always account for one-way streets, etc. My Nuvi does all that and more but is useless for caching.

I've been looking at the Garmin Nuvi series, but I'm not sure what would do the job best. I would need to be able to do paperless caching with it. (Does paperless caching also mean that the GPSr would show all the descriptions, hints, etc., too? Or just the name and coords?)

Different units have different capabilities when it comes to paperless caching. I use the Dakota 20 and it shows me the description, hints, and logs but no attributes or uploaded images. It allows me to make a very basic log entry in the field that I can upload that when I return home. Usually I prefer to leave myself some 'notes' and use that as the basis for writing a more complete log.

It would also be fun to just be running errands or something and go "Hey, my GPS says there's a cache a half-mile up the road. Think I'll go look for it real quick." Can these units do such a thing?

I think that's more a function of what caches you've downloaded to the unit. You can generate a Pocket Query with hundreds of caches and dowload them but it isn't a 'live link' like you have on the web. You could have that using a smartphone but I don't know how well they compare to a dedicated GPSr as far as caching goes.

Also, how loud can the car units go? My hearing is excellent, but my vehicle is extremely noisy. Having something that would shout "TURN RIGHT!!!" above all the din would be helpful. However, this isn't totally necessary.

Some models have built-in FM transmitters so you can hear their output via your car radio. That works pretty well for me in some areas but in others the transmitter on my NUVI simply isn't powerful enough. If your car has an audio jack you can get a cable to feed directly from the unit into your car - that's ideal.

It looks like there are a lot of units out there that would probably work for me, and I can afford a mid-to-upper-level unit. However, I want to avoid getting a bunch of bells and whistles I don't need; the simpler things are to operate, the happier I am.

I think you can get two reasonable units that are dedicated to the different functions (i.e. car and caching) and probably be happier than a single high-end unit. Then again, I don't know if there are any high-end units that incorporate the best of both worlds.

I've been using my NUVI (actually on my 2nd model now) for years and love it. I'm a relative newbie to geocaching so this is just my experience FWIW.

Spark, based on what you've said in this and other threads, I think what you really need is a new iPhone 4s with a contract on whichever service provided works best in your area.

There would of course be no way to justify the contract if it was ONLY for geoaching or ONLY for driving directions. But it would be eminently suited to both of the tasks, and you'd be getting a heck of a lot more for your money, other things you could be doing with it than your older, no service, phone. I *know* my iPhone seems a ridiculously expensive way to do any of the INDIVIDUAL things I use it for. But I use it for so many things and it fills in for so many OTHER gadgets, that on balance it's a bargain.

No willing to go that way? Then yes, a nuvi will fill the "I need something for driving" need, better than a handheld hiking GPS. Right tool for the job.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

DubbleG, you told me a lot of things I didn't know. I appreciate your help!

Portland Cyclist: Looks like a Nuvi it is, then.

But which models? There's about a billion of 'em. I looked on the Garmin site and can't really tell from the descriptions what's not enough, what's too much, and what's just right (LOL, I sound like Goldilocks here). Any Nuvi owners out there who would like to share their experiences with me?

Google nuvi geocaching site:forums.Groundspeak.com

should take you to lots of prior discussions. As I recall some are better than others in terms of battery life, water ressistance, etc. But since I don't have one myself I would not be a competent advisor as to a specific/current model.

When I drive, I use my iPhone with the TomTom USA app for directions :)

I would try to find ( new or used as I think they have been discontinued ) a Nuvi 500 or 550. These were totally paperless units including uploading of field notes....the only Nuvi's factory made for geocaching. We used one for a couple of years for its paperless features.....as you say, you can walk to the cache with your current unit.

The only negative here is you really need to bring it on the trail in case you need hints or info.....it is waterproff and rechargeable but its an extra device to carry.

Edited by BAMBOOZLE

Now that I've been able to do a lot of sleuthing online and at retail stores, the Nuvi 500 looks really good to me. I really like the fact that it is waterproof. I could not find any other Nuvis that were (other than its "sister" model, the 550). I've seen where people have listed its size as a "con" for hiking, and it is big, but I think I can deal with that since it has so many other good things going for it (including a battery life--8 hours--that is WAY beyond any of the other Nuvis I checked out!).

While "lane assist" and "junction view" would have been nice features to have, we really don't travel enough for those to be deal-killers.

Although the 500 is not a 2012 model, I am still seeing plenty of new ones for sale all over the place.

Thanks to all for helping me make my decision!

Let us know how this works out. I tried to go the dual purpose route last year. I forget the model , but it was basically the nuvi phone without the phone. Had driving mode and hiking mode. As a car gps it wasn't bad... But worthless as a hiking gps. My favorite part was the screen was unusable in the sun! Gave it to my mom to use in her car so it wasn't a total loss.

I recently bought a superceded Garmin-Asus A50 Nuvifone (Android smartphone) - it's made a huge difference to my geocaching, especially with geocaching apps like NeonGeo. As well as being a phone, it has a proper inbuilt Garmin GPS. It's not waterproof, but this doesn't really concern me.I like the fact it's dual purpose.

Despite this acquisition, I still use my old Garmin eTrex Venture once I arrive in the general area of GZ. Well worth hanging onto, and I'd recommend you do the same with your H.

Edited by ruralslicker

Let us know how this works out. I tried to go the dual purpose route last year. I forget the model , but it was basically the nuvi phone without the phone. Had driving mode and hiking mode. As a car gps it wasn't bad... But worthless as a hiking gps. My favorite part was the screen was unusable in the sun! Gave it to my mom to use in her car so it wasn't a total loss.

Just remembered the model: nuvi 295w. ;-)