Newbie Cache Placement Questions

Hi guys,

I have been hunting geocaches for about year now and am starting to look into placing some new ones of my own.

I would like to place a cache in an area that is a 50 year flood zone. It is technically county land since the city I live in has not incorporated the flood zone. Does anyone have any ideas who I might ask for permission to place a cache in such a location?

I am also curious if people generally ask permission before placing a cache in road or utility right of way? There is a spot I would like to use, but I'm not sure who I need to talk with.

Also, if your county park system is generally supportive of geocaches, do folks ask permission before each an every placement?

I know these are alot of newbie questions, but I wanted to try and do things right the first time so I figured it was better to ask.

Thanks,

WW90

Hi guys,

I have been hunting geocaches for about year now and am starting to look into placing some new ones of my own.

I would like to place a cache in an area that is a 50 year flood zone. It is technically county land since the city I live in has not incorporated the flood zone. Does anyone have any ideas who I might ask for permission to place a cache in such a location?

I am also curious if people generally ask permission before placing a cache in road or utility right of way? There is a spot I would like to use, but I'm not sure who I need to talk with.

Also, if your county park system is generally supportive of geocaches, do folks ask permission before each an every placement?

I know these are alot of newbie questions, but I wanted to try and do things right the first time so I figured it was better to ask.

Thanks,

WW90

Regarding County Parks...

I maintain a personal connection with the park managers and county person in charge of the overall park system where I normally cache. Ask some local cachers about it...send them a message or two, they will usually let you know of any local guidelines that may be in place.

Looks like you're in Marietta. From looking at the Georgia Geocaching Association guides, it doesn't look like Cobb County requires a permit. Or at least they didn't the last time the guidelines were updated. You may want to check with one of the local reviewers -- probably LZ33, that's who reviewed your first cache -- or ask the Cobb County Parks folks directly.

Regarding the right of way, it depends on where it is. I don't think folks typically go out of their way to get permission for a roadside cache, but permission might be appropriate for a cache that's 100 yards from the road on a power line break.

Bottom line, when in doubt, contact a local reviewer and bounce it off them. It might take them a while to get back to you -- they're busy folks -- but they'll be the ones looking at your cache eventually, so it might make things easier to clear it up with them.

Looks like you're in Marietta. From looking at the Georgia Geocaching Association guides, it doesn't look like Cobb County requires a permit. Or at least they didn't the last time the guidelines were updated. You may want to check with one of the local reviewers -- probably LZ33, that's who reviewed your first cache -- or ask the Cobb County Parks folks directly.

Regarding the right of way, it depends on where it is. I don't think folks typically go out of their way to get permission for a roadside cache, but permission might be appropriate for a cache that's 100 yards from the road on a power line break.

Bottom line, when in doubt, contact a local reviewer and bounce it off them. It might take them a while to get back to you -- they're busy folks -- but they'll be the ones looking at your cache eventually, so it might make things easier to clear it up with them.

Thanks for your advice. This is all good info.