Mt. Lowe Cache ID

KB1LQC

My brother and I found a cache on top of Mt. Lowe while hiking two weekends ago. I can't seem to find this as the two on the mountain are named Mt. Lowe and Thaddeus. The Mt. Lowe cache seems to be hidden elsewhere than where we found this... and I am not sure if Thaddeus is even there any more. We did not climb the mountain with intentions of finding a geocache that day (we started from Lake Avenue in Altadena, CA).

Holding the geocache

Spoiler:

We found this particular cache in a rock pile near the top of the mountain...

I found this bookmark list of caches near or on the mountain:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=369ab971-1a25-42b5-9850-78682343bb98

Maybe it is an archived cache or a mystery cache? Didn't it had the name of the cache?

(It could have also been some sort of replacement container someone accidentally left there while hiking)

Thanks for the reply... weird. If I go up there again I'll have to check it out. Likely I'll look for the other caches too. Is it that common for people to have caches not on the geocaching website?

It is also possible that it is a cache that was never approved (if it is too close too another cache there, for example) and the owner didn't care enough to find a better spot that's avaiable.

To answer your question: There are really exisiting caches that are not listed on geocaching.com. In Germany, for example, there is another website hosting cache-listings and there are some listed, which do not appear over here. Most are cross-listed though. I do not know if there's anything like this outside of Germany, though. I do not think this is common, either.

Edited by Kochibu