New Feature - Formatted Data Output

Scylla & Charybdis

I know that some folks are doing screen scrapes to extract the cache data from the website so that they can re-purpose it for mobile applications. These applications are usually something home grown. An example: scraping the data from the list of local caches into a format that can be massaged and then uploaded to a custom app for a palm or visor. This way, all of the data from the website is available on the PDA, annotations to a specific cache can be made in the field for later transfer when actually logging the cache, etc. As I'm sure you see, the ramifications here are pretty substantial. I was wondering if there were a way to get the data in a more efficient manner? I would personally like to be able to retrieve a list of caches as well formed XML. Does anyone else have a need/desire for this? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
I think I can...I think I can...

Incidit in Scyllam, cupicns vitare Charybdim

I know that if you use the download to EasyGPS link, but save it instead of open it, the data is transmitted as XML which you could use. It has the cache name, coords, waypoint number, etc. It doesn't have everything but it is a good start. I'm not sure if this conflicts with any of the user agreements though.

rdw

This is a great start, just not as much detail as can be grabbed through screen scrapes. I like what is being presented here, but would like additional details like the cache description/details, details of any travel bugs associated with the cache, the difficulty ratings, and the cheat. icon_eek.gif

Incidit in Scyllam, cupicns vitare Charybdim