Paperless Catching

I am a college guy on a tight budget and I was wondering what was the cheapest device to do paperless catching with or if I should invest in a new gps that can do it?

Hi, until recently I used a Garmin Legend HCx Gps which is not a paperless device. At first I'd print off geocache & mapping info and take it with me on caching trips. After a couple of months I decided that this really was not what I wanted, so I purchased an old (but working) HP pda pocket pc. From then on I just PQ'd the cache info & "screen-print" maps onto the pda. It really made a difference, particularly when it was windy and I no longer had to struggle with bits of paper blowing away.

That was up until last week when I bought a new Etrex 20, which is a paperless device. I still download maps to the pda, mainly because of its bigger screen size.

If you have an old pda then I reckon you should be able to put it to good use in a geocaching application. Software is available free / cheap elsewhere on the geocaching site.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Croesgadwr

North Wales, UK.

... so I don't look like an idiot to thousands of people.

If you're like me, you're occasionally stumbling around, looking under things with a GPS in one hand, a sheaf of printouts in the other, while passersby are avoiding making eye contact with the crazy person, and you're worried about a typo?

:lol: