Google Maps/Earth Question

Timmeur

Hello everyone. New to Geo caching. Was using the GPS on my Android cell phone to get started on some of the caches in my area yesterday. Whenever I put my coordinates for the cache into Google Maps, it would take me to the nearest address instead of pointing out the coordinates. I was reading about how some people used Google Earth, so I downloaded that also, but it did the same thing. Thankfully the hint helped a lot with the location of the first one, but we had to climb a steep cliff/hill instead of just following the trail to where it was (which was fun, but slightly dangerous), because we had overshot it taking the wrong path. The second one just took more searching, but we eventually found it.

Anyway, is there any way to prevent Google maps/Google earth from automatically doing this? Or should I find a different program to do this for me? I didn't want to spend the 10 dollars on the official app yet since I don't know if this is something I will keep up with.

When you search by coordinates in Google Maps you should have two markers on the map. The red balloon is the location of the nearest found address, the green arrow is the location of the coordinates. My version of Google Earth doesn't show the nearest address unless I select to show it, don't remember just how I did that though....

I just tried that on the desktop version, and I see the green arrow you are talking about, but the mobile version of google maps does not have that feature. I am pretty sure my gmaps app is no more than a month out of date, if that.

Yeah, I find that really annoying too. I don't know why they can't have it act the same as the desktop version.

Anyway, to do it, all you have to do is add "loc:" (without the quotes) before your coordinates. I just did some testing, and it doesn't seem to matter what format your coordinates are in (decimal degrees, degrees + decimal minutes, etc.). NOTE: The "l" in "loc" MUST be lowercase. If it's uppercase, the search will fail.