Exclude Hides by User

Keokas

I use the app quite a lot for finding caches. Not only nearby caches. Even though it gives only 30 results at the time, it is easy to repeat finding 30 next and so on.

There is this option to 'exclude finds by user(s)'. Does someone really use this feature? I find this feature pretty useless. Wouldn't it be better if we could 'exclude hides by user'?

I don't see any reason not to search for a cache that someone specific has already found. But I would really like to exclude many caches from search results, that have been hidden by someone who doesn't maintain his caches, that hides bad caches (for example kinder-egg containers or micros in the forest...) or doesn't even play the game any more.

Maybe that could be somehow easy to fix to make more sense?

Or maybe someone could explain, why not to search for a cache that has been already found by user x or y?

I use the app quite a lot for finding caches. Not only nearby caches. Even though it gives only 30 results at the time, it is easy to repeat finding 30 next and so on.

There is this option to 'exclude finds by user(s)'. Does someone really use this feature? I find this feature pretty useless. Wouldn't it be better if we could 'exclude hides by user'?

I don't see any reason not to search for a cache that someone specific has already found. But I would really like to exclude many caches from search results, that have been hidden by someone who doesn't maintain his caches, that hides bad caches (for example kinder-egg containers or micros in the forest...) or doesn't even play the game any more.

Or maybe someone could explain, why not to search for a cache that has been already found by user x or y?

This feature is intended for when you may go out caching with friends. Some people want to be able to search as a group for caches that none of them have found, so everyone can take part in the hunt equally. I don't use it exactly this way, but I do use this API feature in GSAK to determine which caches have been found by my relatives.

As far as a method to exclude all hides by a user, see this feature request.

This feature is intended for when you may go out caching with friends. Some people want to be able to search as a group for caches that none of them have found, so everyone can take part in the hunt equally. I don't use it exactly this way, but I do use this API feature in GSAK to determine which caches have been found by my relatives.

As far as a method to exclude all hides by a user, see this feature request.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense now, although it is not a feature that I will need. But for sure there must be a lot of group hunts and this feature might be useful.

I am aware of the previous feature request but since it is about the web site, not the iPhone app, I thought to open a new topic.

Due to the discussion in that earlier request, it seems not very likely that we will get a feature ignoring someone's caches though.