Help with Explorist 310

I just got an Explorist 310 for Christmas. It's my first GPSr other than my cell phone and the Plugger I used in the Army. I have a few questions about it if anyone can help.

#1 When I press the power button and select the "power off" option, my GPSr doesn't turn off. Instead it goes to what looks like a back door diagnostic screen. It is set up like an old Windows 3.1 Window with headings for Factory, Run, Other, and Help across the top. I usually end up having to take the batteries out to get the unit to shut down. Any ideas on how to fix this? I did install the latest firmware from the Magellan site by the way (version 1.7)

#2 When I try to register the unit on the Magellan website so that I can get maps, it always says the serial number is wrong or already registered. I'm sure I'm typing it in correctly. Is this a common problem?

#3 I have previously found Geocaches with my Blackberry (I love Cachesense!) Is there a way to import the records from those finds into my new GPSr so that it can filter them out when searching for nearby caches to hunt?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with these issues.

I do not know what may the reason for issue number one

As far as issue number 2 I am thinking the GPS was returnd to the retailer that it was purchased from and the previou owner already registered it with Magellan.( this would mean that the warranty is already running.

As far as number three. I have nevet used the black berry but as a premium member you could run a Pocket Quary of all your found caches and load that into your 310. Myself, I delete all my found caches form my GPS I use the Magellan Explorist 710. When I am out I do not want to have to scroll throungh a bunch of found caches because for me they just get in the way.

You might contact Magellan reg the serial numbe problem, and problem numbe one. If it is a unit that was returned that may be why.

Any GPS that I have ever bought from Magellan, and I have bought about 6 or 7 has had seals on the box.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Thank you, Johnny Vegas. This forum as proved to be much more helpful than the one put up by Magellan.

I essentially gave up and sent this unit back to Amazon for replacement. Your theory that a previous customer had done the same after registration makes perfect sense.

The only reason I wanted to add caches which I had found was so that I could filter them out of search results using the "Sort and Filter" tools on the Explorist. Unfortunately, when I transfer my pocket queries to the unit, the information transferred does not include the fact that I have already found the cache, so when I search for nearby caches on the GPSr itself, it won't filter out the ones I've already found using another device. The best solution I've come up with so far is to manually mark each individual cache as "found" on the GPSr, transfer the field notes to geocaching.com, and then delete them on the website after the transfer (to avoid claiming a find twice on the same caches).

There are occasions when I'd like to see a listing for a cache I've previously found, such as dropping of a trackable or showing friends how to geocache, so filtering found caches out of my pocket queries in the first place isn't an optimal solution either. Right now manually marking each found cache in my GPSr isn't such a big deal since I don't have many finds. Next time I buy a GPSr I might have 1k+ finds to my credit though!