Letterbox hybrids

softball29

I had a question about letterbox hybrids and couldn't seem to find the answer.

When doing a letterbox hybrid, I know people sometimes list on both sites (as it says on geocaching's description of caches). However, when you do one up, can you do it on geocaching.com like an actual letterbox?

By that I mean having the coordinates for say parking or the beginning and then have the "letterbox" description with all the clues and such? That seems more like a "puzzle" to me, but it seems like it would be what a letterbox actually is and would make sense. I am hoping I can set out a letterbox hybrid that works like a traditional letterbox.

Thanks for anyone who can help or point me in a direction where I can find out!

When doing a letterbox hybrid, I know people sometimes list on both sites (as it says on geocaching's description of caches). However, when you do one up, can you do it on geocaching.com like an actual letterbox?

By that I mean having the coordinates for say parking or the beginning and then have the "letterbox" description with all the clues and such? That seems more like a "puzzle" to me, but it seems like it would be what a letterbox actually is and would make sense. I am hoping I can set out a letterbox hybrid that works like a traditional letterbox.

Here's a recent thread about the Letterbox Hybrid caches:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=283648

And here's the cache type-specific Guideline:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

3. Letterbox Hybrid

This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. Letterbox hybrids must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. A letterbox hybrid may have a mystery or puzzle element, but cannot be designed to be found by only using clues. To seek a letterbox hybrid, you will not need your own personal stamp and letterboxing logbook.

Thanks much. I hadn't been able to find it. :)

Seems so vague though.

"This cache type pays homage to an older form of scavenger hunt. Letterbox hybrids must contain a signature stamp that stays with the box. A letterbox hybrid may have a mystery or puzzle element, but cannot be designed to be found by only using clues. To seek a letterbox hybrid, you will not need your own personal stamp and letterboxing logbook."

So it can have a mystery or puzzle element, but not designed to find only with clues. Interesting. I will read that thread and do some more research. Thanks. I'd like to place one or two, but don't want to if the coordinates have to take people directly to the cache. Then it defeats the purpose of the letterbox idea.

Thanks again!

Yes you can pretty much post it like you would on the letterboxing sites. However.....the posted coordinates should take people to a landmark. Some reviewers will not accept a parking lot as a "landmark", but some will. Just be ready if your reviewer questions the parking lot start to your letterbox. Note: you will also need to provide the reviewer with the coordinates to the final location. S/he will check those coordinates to see if there are any other caches within .1 miles.

The letterbox type is quite open - it can be a "mystery/puzzle/unknown" or a "traditional" or a "multi". It's important when looking for a letterbox to read the cache description. When I post off-set letterboxes I put a note at the top of the page. Example:

IMPORTANT: This is an OFFSET

Coordinates take you to the footbridge. Read instructions below for the rest of the journey.

Leon -- Thanks so much for the info. I've seen a lot of your posts over on Atlas Quest, too, and have enjoyed reading your thoughts and such on both games! I am looking forward to setting out a few letterboxes and likely will make one or two of them hybrids as we don't have any in our area!

Leon -- Thanks so much for the info. I've seen a lot of your posts over on Atlas Quest, too, and have enjoyed reading your thoughts and such on both games! I am looking forward to setting out a few letterboxes and likely will make one or two of them hybrids as we don't have any in our area!

Thanks. :)

I wonder how many of us there are - i.e. avid letterboxers and geocachers - members of both the LB sites and GC sites? I think it's a small but growing list.

Leon --

I wonder, too. It seems like it would be an easy transition to do both. For me, it's nice because it's something new that I can do in my area. I picked up a hitchhiker the other day and need to figure where to drop it next!

Both are great games, that's for sure. I've actually blogged about the letterboxing aspect a couple times in the past week, including talking about my first carve in my entry today. (I've opted to make said carve a personal traveler, too!)

I look forward to continuing to read your insights on the letterboxing world!

Hi Softball29....I'm over at Atlasquest too.

I just made a hybrid, you can look under my caches to see how I listed it. The one thing that slowed my publishing time down was that you have to list the coords for the actual letterbox, listed as additional waypoints; but leave that part unpublished, so only the reviewer can see it. The reviewer needs both coords for the beginning and the cache. The cachers liked doing the clue part...the only other nearby hybrid around me was really more of a geocache with a store bought stamp.

I think we should have a buddy group over here too. That "doggone geocachers" thread at atlasquest ticked me off a tad... Most cachers I know are very serious about it.

Hi FloridaFour! I saw you over on the other forums as well.

I'm starting to come up with a Hybrid as well as a regular letterbox. I have a couple of ideas, but this area is tough in placing because there is so many geocaches around and not many letterboxers. So if I want it found, I almost have to make it a hybrid, unless I put it elsewhere! For now, I'm going to keep carving some stamps and decide how and where I want to place some of these!